RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Need help with data to floppy

Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Need help with data to floppy

I can take apprx. 20 photos on a 3 1/2 floppy on my maciva sony camera and they will all fit on the disc. When I use the memory stick in the camera and then move the photos to my pictures in the computer and try to move them to a 3 1/2 floppy it will only let me put 9 photos on the disc and it is full. Both set of photos are taken at the lowest quality setting. both seem to be jpegs when I look at them, but I do not understand why I can not put more photos on disc when using the stick. This camera has the ability to use disc or stick. Can someone please enlighten me? Lost in the fog..............thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Re: Need help with data to floppy

"...When using Memory Sticks you get the advantage of much greater storage capacity as you can use up to a 64MB stick. Sony promises 128MB and 256MB sticks in the coming year. Another advantage is that the JPEG images recorded on the stick now have full EXIF header information including shutter speed, aperture, focal length, flash mode and etc. ..."

some info found here
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Re: Need help with data to floppy

Hi,
My first thought is different compression ratios are being used....

It appears that when it load to the floppy it using a high compression ratio for the jpg format.... your probably avg 70k per picture file size...

when download to the computer, the software there in the computer it uses less compression and you end up with appx 155k file size for your pictures...

the math... a floppy hold 1400k (1.4meg) of data
at 20 picture that avg 70k
at 9 pictures that avg 155k

look into your software on the computer and see if you can can change compression ratio of the pictures that are downloaded.

note: the higher the compression there is degradation in quality!

there another possibility but I don't know enough about your camera or the pc software... and that the dpi info.. most camera are setup for 72-96 dpi by default (some camera's can change that) ... if this value is raised to let say 150dpi... although that won't change your pixel resolution but it will change the file significantly... but my money on the compression ratio...

well those are my first thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaautodean@bel
I can take apprx. 20 photos on a 3 1/2 floppy on my maciva sony camera and they will all fit on the disc. When I use the memory stick in the camera and then move the photos to my pictures in the computer and try to move them to a 3 1/2 floppy it will only let me put 9 photos on the disc and it is full. Both set of photos are taken at the lowest quality setting. both seem to be jpegs when I look at them, but I do not understand why I can not put more photos on disc when using the stick. This camera has the ability to use disc or stick. Can someone please enlighten me? Lost in the fog..............thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration