RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help with restoration please

Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Re: Help with restoration please

thought i would give this a try and see what i could do with it .... i did no other corrections other then repairing the cracks and replacing the missing parts.. i wanted to try and keep the original look to the photo. If this photo is what you want there is a larger size at this address.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/3...92acd28b_b.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Jan-07-Original-Post.jpg (99.2 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 AM

I finished this last night but it was only tonight that CJ Swartz told me how to post images (thanx again CJ) so I had to look back at PS to see what I did.
Levels. Sponge to pull out some of the yellowing, lots of healing brush,Dodged the eyes (too much?), noisware pro, and gaussian blur on the background, little unsharp mask and there you go. It was a lot of fun, neat picture, got one like that of my Dad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Jan-07-Original-ost.jpg (76.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 06:59 PM

Hi

Thanks to all for your images, advice and encouragement. I also think it is a great photo and are very happy with the way it turned out. I am glad you all had fun working with it.

As Janet said, it was not in too bad a condition to start with, even though it is around 60 years old.

For a beginner like me it was ideal, I learned and got to practice the basics as well as restoring a cherished photo.

Regards

Colan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Hey!

I saw sme wonderful restorations here and they looked great as far as each one of them went. I wanted to approach it from a slightly different angle and do a hand tint to give it an antique kind of approach. I first cleaned up a couple of stains off of someone elses restoration and then I used Alien Skin Exposure to give it some nice grain and a clean black and white to work with. From there I used Mystical's Tint Tone and Color to hand tint it to colors I imagined may or may not have been in the original photo. I noticed a Naval insignia on his cap so I gave it kind a blue tint to his Uniform. His eyes looked to dark to be a blue so I was left to decide between green and brown. I went with the green for fun because I liked how it stood out. From the tint of his left eyebrow I figured he had probably light brown or a dark sandy blonde hair so I tried to keep that going too.

When i was all done coloring I used Alien Skin exposure one more time to give it an old Kodachrom look like you would see in color advertisements from the late forties and early sixties. (I am only 24, but I do remember seeing stuff like this in old National Geographics and other magazines.) I know this isn't a regular restoration, but I thought it would be fun. If my coloring isoff and you would like it redone and sent to you in a size and color scheme of your choice to be printed - please drop me a line and I will be more than happy to help. What a neat old photo.

I didn't want to put down any of the other results - I just wanted toadd my own perspective for fun sakes. I hope you enjoyed!

-Spencer Mittan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad-Jan-07-Original-Post restored and hand tint.jpg (87.8 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Hi

Thanks Smittan for taking the time to tint and give give workflow for the photo. I showed my old mother and she was blown away at seeing it in colour.

If my coloring isoff and you would like it redone and sent to you in a size and color scheme of your choice to be printed - please drop me a line and I will be more than happy to help.

If you could change the colours and resize for print that would be great. I will PM with my address.

Thanks again for all who replied

Colan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 10:15 AM

I replaced parts of background ,retouched ,threshold,then levels for adjustment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad_Jan_07_Original_Post.jpg (41.9 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration