RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

ball point pen gone wild

Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM

ball point pen gone wild

i've never had one this bad. are there any suggestions for a reasonably fast method to remove the ball point damage? i would shudder at the time necessary to clone/patch. tia...skip

note: the image attached is an unprocessed downsize of the scan. 20+ year old polaroid print. the blowup represents the sketchyness of the ball point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jenny.jpg (47.9 KB, 307 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 PM

Re: ball point pen gone wild

I read this and thought I could help. I have a K.E. book that has a section on removing blue ball point pen ink from a photo.
In the book example, you look at the blue channel and the ink doesn't show at all. So, the author makes a grayscale image out of that.
In your photo, the ink is still prominent in the blue channel, but less so. Maybe if you know how to mix channels, you can get the blue ink reduced to nothing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Skip, another thing you can try is the technique suggested by Cameraken for another problem -- I think you'll find that it works for this one also
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/143881-post6.html

Try it, it helps reduce the amount of cloning and other hand work. You can play with the amount of nudging up/down to see what works best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball-point.jpg (98.0 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 AM

I selected the blue channel, switched to LAB mode and replaced the lightness channel with the blue.

After getting rid of the ball-pen blue with the selective color tool, I used byro's degrunge technique (see his tutorial on this site) at 2.1/0.7.

I know that it's beyond my skill to fix the woman's face further, so there's no point in doing the easier stuff like the clothes.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jenny_fix.jpg (99.8 KB, 200 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 AM

I have always found these ball point pen pictures interesting. Mention was made of Katrin Eismann's work which I have done--only her practice picture is black and white and not color with the exception of the blue pen marks. I use the cloning tool, patch tool, healing brush and the spot healing brush. The thing that I have found that helps with this work is my Wacom Graphics tablet and the pens. You can work quickly and tap out areas that would be much more time consuming working with a mouse. The attached picture is a long ways from finished but this is where I decided to end my efforts.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mon_kids.jpg (97.0 KB, 169 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 01:11 AM

i just did the boy. i used scratch remover, followed by clone, followed by airbrush, and just a tiny bit of push (smudge).

it really doesnt take that long and with all those marks, i dont see a quickie method that is going to work for all of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jenny-1-k-1.jpg (90.0 KB, 189 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Very good job Craig!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 09:37 AM

White bread? I know this sounds a bit daft but I've seen this work (on tv not tried it myself). You take a fresh slice of white bread, pull the soft, fluffy centre out, and rub it across the damaged photo. The ballpoint ink will be removed! Honest! I would try it in a small corner first just in case!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegg
White bread? I know this sounds a bit daft but I've seen this work (on tv not tried it myself). You take a fresh slice of white bread, pull the soft, fluffy centre out, and rub it across the damaged photo. The ballpoint ink will be removed! Honest! I would try it in a small corner first just in case!
I almost want to write on a picture just to see if this does in fact work, but I am too afraid too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM

Yes, I should have suggested that you try it out by scribbling on a 'scrap' print. I haven't made this up though; I wish I could remember where I saw it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration