RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Glass Pics

Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Glass Pics

Just as I said I was going to start doing restoration work for profit I get one that has me confused. Two seperate pictures in glass from the mid 30's. One is OK but the one picture is broken in several pieces. These are both portrait type photos(husband and wife) professionally done and set in a sparkle type background. First question is what is this style called and next how would you go about restoring the broken picture with glass around it? Iam thinking about taping it all together and scanning glass and all. What else can be done?

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Re: Glass Pics

I think it would really help if you showed us what you have..
Can you remove it from the glass without further damaging the picture?
Broken glass, ripped picture..it really depends how it broken and ripped.
I wouldn't tape anything (maybe from behind) since you can put it together in photoshop.

Anyway a sample of the bad one would get a lot more people involved..dif. ideas on how to bet proceed.

Lasa
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 01:43 PM

also, before you do any taping, repairing, removing of glass and so on, it would be a very good idea to take a picture of it as is. it you can scan it, that might also be ok, but try to get a digital image of it before proceeding... just in case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks to all that respnded. I will send a scan of what I'm talking about as soon as I can. Recovering from foot injury right now and can't make it to my computer/scanner as yet. Really thankful for the laptop at this time. Also this is giving me time to read a lot of the forums that are available here. Truly a source of knowledge and inspiration.
The type of photo I referred to is unusual to me. The breaks in the glass are clean with no ragged edges of glass or paper. Like it's all molded as one similiar to auto glass about one fourth inch thick I don't know how this was done but it's a pretty nice job. Have you all ever seen this before and does it have a name
bcarll
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration