RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Where do I start?

Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Patron

Re: Where do I start?

well I mainly worked on the color of the skin and wondered some about the color of her blouse which I thought may be white or perhaps a slight yellow color. Notice that in the yellow channel (after converting to cymk) was the most distorted. Later I used healing and clone tools around the lips and finally cropped the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyAuntJo.jpg (98.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1
Hi, here's my offering. I have photoshop set to save 60 actions but when I looked back over halph of what I did was gone. Would be neat if photoshop made the ability to export them as a text file.
Photoshop CS does have the ability to save a text log. Can't remember if it was introduced in CS2 or CS3.

You'll find it under the General Preferences
Attached Images
File Type: jpg history-log.jpg (48.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 AM

Swampy, thank you! That's soo cool. You raise a question though...what's metadata? BTW it was CS2 cuz that's what I'm on and I got it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Meta data is a something that allows you to embed information into a file. It's usually associated with digital photos and allows you to add copyright information, URL, and a lot of other stuff to the information header in a file. Most digital cameras now include meta data such as the brand of camera, ISO settings etc.

Open a digital photo in Photoshop then look at File->Get info. You will see a list of metadata that is currently in the file (Camera Information) and if you click through the lists you can add your own information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 01:31 PM

hmmm, seems i'm invisible these days. hello? sylvia? no comments? hello? is this mike on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 AM

Craig,

Sorry. I've had a lot of things to pull me away from my computer today and I'm just now sitting down to get back to Photoshop work. Your work is incredible but it looks really florescent or maybe it's my monitor. You definitely got the yellow out and achieved a very smooth face. I've just finished trying to take some of everyone's advise and attempt to do this. Photoshop is amazing. 100 people or even more could work on the same picture, even follow the same steps and still come up with a different output! Here's my results:..................................

As you can see, I didn't achieve a great while blouse. I would also like for the lips to be more red. I didn't make a great selection of the hair so there's a hard line on one side of the hair.

Please share any suggestions.

Thanks!
Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bust-of-Aunt-Jo-web.jpg (81.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 AM

Sylvia,

You are critiquing your own work, which is a good habit for us to get into. What I'm seeing in this rendition is skin color that is more yellow than "normal" (to MY eyes). You have handled the coloration split in the original and made the top/bottom of her face similar tones, but they appear too yellow and too much the same all over (I mention this because that's what my first skin color repairs looked like although I didn't see it until other folks told me). If you painted over her face to make the differences between the top and bottom half match (which is what many of us do), it can make the face too even -- which is not normal. Doug Nelson has a post (way back somewhere) where he added some reddish/magenta tones to the nose, chin, cheeks and perhaps the forehead on a restoration which needed recoloring. Vikki (you've probably seen her work here -- professionally excellent at retouching AND coloration) has some tips here and on the internet--when you have some time to look/read. I added a selective color adjustment and reduced the yellow while reducing the cyan (which increases the red) -- didn't look much different. Then I added some reddish tones to her nose/cheeks etc., on a layer set to Color blend, blurred a bit and reduced the opacity so that it was just barely noticeable to me. Let me make this very clear -- this is NOT my strong area, and I'm just bringing up some options -- we'll see what my rendition looks like (sometimes they look better BEFORE we upload them on the forum ).

I think you kept her hair color the beautiful shade from the original -- nice! You can paint on some more lip color and/or add an Overlay blend layer and use a small brush to paint black over the lip to darken the color there - reduce the layer opacity to taste. I painted on a bit of color (on a Color blend layer) and also used an Overlay layer to add some saturation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sylvias-adjust.jpg (98.8 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanaAnna
Chillin and CrazyFly1,

... Chillin', how did you deal with the 2 toned skin?!!!

Thanks,
Sylvia
I used the same method like crazyfly1. I add some feathering (3pix).

If you allow me to post again… I have tried the portraiture plug in on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inverse FFT of Recolor-bust-of-Aunt-Jo1PS2.jpg (97.6 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 09:47 AM

sylvia, thank you.

yes, i think you're right about the florescencse. it is a bit. not sure that we're seeing exactly the same thing, but i do see it. i think i also left too much red in the blouse and i'm not real happy with the skin color on her hands.

on yours, the hands look good. the blouse is a believable white and the hair looks good, but it's the face coloration that looks off here. it's a bit too pale and somewhat monotone. you can see the color there but it's very faded. cj has some good suggestions there and i'll just add one. if you mask the face and then use a hue/sat on it, you shld be able to bring out the color more. if that doesnt do it, then i'd go with the spraypaint/airbrush on a color blend mode layer and a low opacity brush to add some more color to the areas cj mentioned.

it's a great picture and certainly worthy of some time
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Hi Again Sylvia

If you don't want the canvas texture you could turn her into a little China Doll smudge.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bust-of-Aunt-Jo-web1.jpg (93.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Daviskw; 01-23-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration