RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Where do I start?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Re: Where do I start?

well, i had to have another go at this. took the red out of the blouse that i had before and hopefully got rid of some of that florescense. i like the hand color better also.

i think if i were working this from scratch again, i'd go about it differently. i'd correct the face tones first, the same as before, but then i'd divide up the image into four parts, background, face/hair, blouse, and hands and work on each individually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redhead-in-white-2-k-1.jpg (97.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 AM

C.J. Schwartz,

Thanks so much for that input! You're totally right about the face being too flat but I didn't know what to do. I love how you brought her face back to life and got some nice color in those lips! I think color is the hardest thing to learn how to deal with in Photoshop. I definiately will try to find Vikki's tips.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM

Craig,

Much better! Definitely more natural looking and the hand color is good. Your blouse is gorgeous! I don't like my blouse at all. Because of the blouse, I may start completely over on my work. How did you approach dealing with the blouse? I've listened and tried the suggestions and I think I'm still too much of a novice to really comprehend what I'm suppose to do. The only thing I see that I would try to tweak in your latest rendition is the green overtones in the hair.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM

Sylvia, I'll post links to some of Vikki's tips here: (Vikki does things a bit differently than many of us -- she hand colors without using masks to "stay inside the lines", AND she doesn't even use extra layers to paint on (according to this old post anyway), but she is very experienced and gifted to boot. Starting out, I would suggest using masks to help you put the color where you want it, and layers set to Color blend mode to make it easier to "trash it and start over if you make a mistake" . When you get experience, then you can "wing it" and FLY!

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/res...i+colorization

http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/curious_about_color
http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/colorings

(Two of Vikki's PBase photo galleries that shows her colorizations of black/white photos -- sorry, no written tips included, but you can see what an excellent job looks like, and you could practice on the black/white versions if you downloaded them -- you couldn't post your versions anywhere, of course, because the b/w photos may be copyrighted.)

Vikki has written that she used this linked tutorial from Worth1000 when she started colorizing -- she has made changes and does her own version, but this is a helpful tutorial. This is for colorizing b/w images, but sometimes a color photo is so badly damaged that we end up turning it into a grayscale and colorize it to turn it back into a color photo, so this is still relevant to the subject. The current photo doesn't require that, although you might use it as practice?

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 01-23-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 12:04 PM

sylvia, thanks

hmmm, how to explain this to someone using photoshop and having a little difficulty... basically, i made a selection of the blouse. i copied that selection to a new layer. then, i ran a hue/sat on that layer (i actually did this in a simpler fashion, but the overall result is the same). in the hue/sat you can set a given color as the one you wish to work on. for this last attempt i chose 'red'. i then desaturated, which removes the red and leaves only the white. i think i also brightened it just a touch.

just bear in mind that i also worked on this before. but, it was similar. only that time, i chose 'yellow' and removed the yellow.

as for the green in the hair, i dont really see it on the version posted here. i'll have to look at it in psp later. but again, this could be remove by using a selection on the hair and another hue/sat where i simply desaturated the green values.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 04:35 PM

You could always try adding a texture mask from another photo.. This will add some pores and allow the color to take better.
I applied a mask from my daughters picture... not the right res or shape but you could find one easily on the net.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bust-of-Aunt-Jo-web1.jpg (97.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM

Daviskw,

Now this China Doll smudge is something I've never seen. Very interesting. It's pretty but also a little unnatural. Is this a plug-in?

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Hi Sylvia

It is a common technique using smudge brushes at different opacities... It can make very striking renderings even with less than perfect focus and heavy texture.

Here is a link to a Tutorial...check it out you will like it.

Another example...

And yet another

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 AM

Smile Re: Where do I start?

I just checked on my version of photoshop {CS 1) and the edit log is under preferances. Good thing to know. I'm going to use it from now on. Thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 AM

A hand coloured version.
I added a monochrome channel-mixer adjustment layer of 70 red, 20 green and 10 blue. This got rid of most of the two tone flesh colour.
Then it was just a case of adding curves adjustments for the colours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aunt-jo.jpg (99.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by printmeister; 03-05-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration