RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Early Stage Color Correction

Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM

Re: Early Stage Color Correction

I have just seen the corner in this room. I never saw it before. And the areas on the dress that you circled in green I think that's part of the dress design. It looks like lace or something maybe woven around the dress parallel to the hem line. Thank you, Craig!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Gary, what you've done is very nice. You've smoothed out the background into mainly one color. Did you do this by painting it on?
Yup, that's all. Did it on a couple of colour mode layers, then adjusted layer opacity to allow a little of the "original" colour variations through (though not much as you can see).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Gary,

I tried painting on a smoother background and it didn't work for me at all. Several times I used the eyedropper to choose a color from the picture to use as the paint color and set the opacity and brush flow very low but the multicolored background was overpowering. But when I raised the opacity adn brush flow, the painted on color was too uniform and unnatural looking. It seems this works best if you know how to pick the right color to paint with. I tried many different colors from inside the picture and from the color picker but it didn't work for me. I thought I could try to mask out everything but the wall and then do a Fill> Color and perhaps that would give a smoother appearance. I could easier ajust the opacity that way. That would be a lot of work making those selections so that they are all chosen to be maksed out except the wall.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 02:52 AM

Paint at 100% flow and opacity to ensure you get even coverage across the wall, then reduce the layer opacity, until some of the colour variation just shows through. Layer should be set to Color blend mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM

you're welcome, sylvia.

one way to paint on backgrounds like this is, make a new layer above your others. pick 'airbrush' or spraypaint or whatever they call in PS, and pick a color from the original wall. set your brush to a very low opacity. set the 'density' to medium or medium low. you really want a spray paint look and not a full paintBRUSH look. go over the area till you see some change and just gradually get it better. never just hold the brush in one position; move it around. once you get a light layer, go to your blurring filter and pick gausian blur. set this around 8 or so. it will vary a bit but 8 tends to be where i do most. go ahead and blur the layer. this is just your painted layer and nothing else. this will even out and somewhat diffuse the paint. then take your eraser brush and erase where the diffusion has moved paint outside the desired area.

if needed, just do this again on a new layer and build things up gradually. and, if doing it again, try a very slightly different color this time, often just a touch lighter or darker. do the same blurring and erasing on this layer also. and sometimes, changing the blend mode of these painted layers can make things look better as well. again, it just depends.

that's what i did when i worked this image. i ended up with about three different painted layers, all blurred and then erased around the edges. sometimes, if the paint is heavier than i want, i'll set the eraser at about 3% opacitly and lightly erase that as well.

all in all, it's a good way to paint backgrounds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 AM

Gary,

Why is it that no matter what color I choose to paint with, my wall is coming out a bright blue. I've tried them all...................... shades of pink, blue, green, yellow, gray, apricot. They are all producing an intensely bright blue wall.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 AM

At the moment I can't think of a reason for your problem, will give it some thought.

Which programme are you using, and what colour mode (RGB, CMYK,LAB)?

Are you working on a separate Layer, and if so what Blend mode is it in?

Have you got any pre-fixed palette selected?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration