RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Is this photo black and white or color?

Old 02-24-2007, 12:24 AM

Re: Is this photo black and white or color?

i still have to go with flora's original assessment. notice the very top and bottom edges. there is a bit of a color strip on each. i've never known a black and white to pick something like this up.

also, trying out flora's method, it just doesnt pump up like a colorizing. and you can see the faint color she uses to get her final image. by just doing the black and white points and the hue/sat layer, you can see how it brings this out in a natural way.

so, i'm sticking with flora
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska
Guys, if you finagle curve/levels enough on a bw pic, you're gonna get color....
Now that I think about it a bit longer -- I knew that. That's why we have to change the layer blend to Luminosity on a Curves adjustment layer if we are only adjusting for contrast -- so that we don't affect the color. I scanned some of my father's Civilian Conservation Corps photos from the '30's (all B/W) and changed some of them to color or sepia; I can remember that I was surprised how much color I could get out of them just with Curves -- didn't have to brush on much color. I just tried it again with a few -- if I just used Hue/Sat -- there was no color when I increased the saturation, but if I added a Curves adjustment and used Normal rather than Luminosity for the layer blend mode -- I could change the grays to red, magenta, yellow, green, blue...etc. If I change it to Luminosity -- back to B/W. (Actually, there were some that reacted to the Hue/Sat adjustment -- guess when I scanned them in that I did something that added a yellowish tone. This image didn't have it though.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCCboy-feetfirst.jpg (99.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CCCboy-feetfirst-C.jpg (96.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM

CJ, are you able to give a bit more detail as I am sure you can potentially tone-map if you know how
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Cass, I haven't yet done any tone-mapping although I plan to shoot some landscapes to practice doing HDR images. What are you suggesting here -- would tone-mapping help Gerald with his image? I thought we had to have several exposures of the same image to do tone-mapping? I've only read a bit about it until I get CS3 and have a chance to start working with the concept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Having grown up in the era of b/w tv, sure I can visualise colours mentally, so why not tone map?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Here's my final restoration of the little girl on the stool. I would like to know how can I improve on it.

Gerald
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img367girl2.jpg (99.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration