RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Torn Corner restoration

Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 AM

Torn Corner restoration

I'm trying to restore a photo for a friend. I'm very new to this....sooo I wanted to know what the best way to go about:
1. removing the dust and specks from scanning the photo
2. repairing the torn corner
3. removing the cracks
4. bring the picture back to life again?

I know I have to do lots of cloning. Any advice?

Here's the photo..
http://ss1.pickle.com/media/femmgran...85_big.jpg?374
Attached Images
File Type: png torn copy.png (99.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by femmgrangwav; 02-21-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 AM

Re: Torn Corner restoration

Okay, this isn't the easiest picture to start out with but it is fixable (hopefully you're patient).

The first thing you need to do if you are able is to scan the picture at 300 dpi so that you have something bigger to work with. This will also result in a better print when you get it printed.

After that you can start fixing the picture. Here are the steps I would follow...

1. Straighten the image and cut of the excess edging (you can always add this back later.

2. Run a levels adjustment layer to brighten the image and get rid of the slight color cast.

3. Copy parts of the image that are intact on their own layer and then transform them to fit the missing sections (ie. use the wall on the right to fix the missing wall on the left). One you have them in place you can add a layer mask to the pieces and make them blend better.

4. Lots of cloning and healing to fix the scratches, tape spot, dust, etc. Some of the scratches you may be able to heal with Photoshop's built in Filter > Dust and Scratches (use a layer mask to only reveal the healed areas once you run this filter). Also use this layer to better blend your copied sections.

Check out the tutorials on this site. There are some fabulous ones that will teach you a bunch about restoring these old photos.

I've attached a quick and messy attempt using the steps outlined above to give you an idea at what you can accomplish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuickExample.jpg (94.8 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 05:45 AM

Thank you...I am using CS2 This is my first time trying to restore. So I'm taking baby steps so to speak.

I did scan the image at 600 dpi. I also just used the measure tool to straight out the image and cropped the white border..

Now are far as copying a piece of the wall on the right...how to I get the orientation of the wall to look right on the left? Do I do a Edit>transform>Perspective?

Also how do I do the floor. I've gone to the tutorial section and I'm still scratching my head. I'm so nervous.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM

For the wall, once it's copied I did Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal. Then I used Edit > Transform > Rotate (you may want to lower the opacity of this piece so that you can see the original behind it) and then Edit > Transform > Distort.

You may want to try free transform which gives you all of the transform abilities at once.

With the floor I used the transform tool, 'Warp,' as well. You can always copy and paste more pieces if you need them. Or you can clone the missing pieces in as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 AM

Okay I did a Edit>transform>flip horizontal

As I zoomed into the pic I saw that the floor is all carpet and not shadow and carpet. It looks like water damage or something at the bottom. I used the clone tool and the healing brush to fix the door. I also copy and pasted small pieces of the carpet (I tried the healing brush, then the clone tool but it didn't look real).

Now my issue is how do i blend the wall in. Do I erase and use the blur tool?

I uploaded what I have now...
http://ss1.pickle.com/media/femmgran...491_big.jpg?40

As you can see the wall is on top of the flower pot and part of the woman's hand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 AM

This is when you would add a layer mask to the pasted wall. Go to Layer > Add Layer Mask > Reveal All. Then use a paintbrush and paint with black (use a low opacity) to slowly get rid of the wall in front of the flowers, etc. If you mess up and paint away too much, just paint with white.

Oops, forgot to mention that you are making some great progress. Keep up the good work, I'm sure your friend will be very pleased.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Wow thank you soo much...I've been working on this all day. I played around with the "replace color". I know I have a long way to go but I'm done for today. Here's what I have. I think the wallpaper is a bit toooooo red? WDYT?

I still have some some cloning to do and healing.

ver. 1 http://ss1.pickle.com/media/femmgran...57_big.jpg?344

ver. 2
http://ss1.pickle.com/media/femmgran...medium.jpg?530
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Version one is definitely my favorite. The details are a lot crisper and more true to how this picture was when it was first taken. I think the wallpaper is okay too, especially considering the time period when this photo was taken, styles have definitely changed. When you're all done you can always tone down the wallpaper if you think it needs it. I have to say I am very impressed with what you have accomplished in so short a time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshgrlkc
Version one is definitely my favorite. The details are a lot crisper and more true to how this picture was when it was first taken. I think the wallpaper is okay too, especially considering the time period when this photo was taken, styles have definitely changed. When you're all done you can always tone down the wallpaper if you think it needs it. I have to say I am very impressed with what you have accomplished in so short a time.
Thanks
I'm still working on the pic...can you believe it? My friend saw the pic and quickly gave me another to practice on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration