Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Retouching this background...

Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Retouching this background...

I'm having a hard time getting a consistent, non "splotchy" background on this picture. I'm hoping someone can provide some instruction on how I could go about replacing the background, or retouching it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (13.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Re: Retouching this background...

If you have Photoshop, you can extract the gentleman in about 1 minute using the Extract Filter. (Gentleman not retouched)
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoopyChicken MM R1.jpg (68.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 11:35 PM

There's always more than one way to do something so here's another. It's not better than anyone else's, just different. I suggest you do whichever is easier for you and will take the least amount of time.

If you are comfortable with masking and/or using the pen tool you may want to try this method to retouch the background.

1. I used the pen tool to create an outline of the man which I saved as a mask (you can use any method you are more comfortable to create a mask - I just like the pen tool).

2. Duplicate the background layer. Select the clone tool and set it to lighten and approx 25% opacity. Set your source (alt+click) a lighter area of the background and then clone it over the darker splotches. Don't worry about the guy's head (this is why we made a mask of him).

3. Once your happy with your splotch lightening, load the mask of the man as a selection and add a layer mask that hides the selection. Voila, you have a dark-splotch less background. You can play with the duplicated background layer more if you like without effecting the guy. I blurred it and added a little noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Another.jpg (36.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 AM

I straightened the man up and used a surface blur on the background to smooth it out. Sharpened and tried to do a little contrast change.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManBackground.jpg (42.7 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 PM

loopychicken, welcome to RP.

strictly speaking, your question isnt one of restoration. so, if you've got a restoring type question on this image, ok. if not, i'm going to move the thread over to the appropriate forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration