Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Texture

Old 02-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Re: Removing Texture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
You need to rescan the image and use the descreen function of your scanning software as a start. Scan at about 300 DPI. Scan a couple times moving the photo to different angles with each scan and see which one gives you the best results.
I tried it and it didn't help much. Is there a difference in 600dpi vs. 300dpi?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
. where can I find the poloroid plug-in

Probably at Poloroid.com
thanks I'm going to check it out too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Ran it through the de-crack action by Tim J Edwards (used to be a copy on this site, haven't looked to see if it's still available), then used History Brush to bring back some of the lost detail.

Haven't tried to correct anything other than the cracks, picture still needs work, but perhaps gives you something to work from.

Edit: Link for de-crack Action http://www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/...ack-action.zip
I got something like that. It looked like a mosaic. How would I proceed from there when I have it looking like the above? The picture also got very blury.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Lasa, unimatrix001 thanks!! I'm taking everyone's feedback and seeing what works best. At the same time I'm enjoying the learing process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmgrangwav
I tried it and it didn't help much. Is there a difference in 600dpi vs. 300dpi?
Depends on how big you want to output it. If you are going to print a 5 x 7, 300 ppi should be fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Well crud! My browser died on me and I lost my whole post on what I did...and I cannot even begin to reconstruct it now, but there were quite a few levels and hue/saturation adjustments. I apologize, but anyway here's my take on the pic. With so much yellow and over-exposure, reverting to black and white seemed to give the best results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43504restore.jpg (65.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Depends on how big you want to output it. If you are going to print a 5 x 7, 300 ppi should be fine.
thanks..the image is a the size of a passport photo. Can I still enlarge it at 300 ppi?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySedim
Well crud! My browser died on me and I lost my whole post on what I did...and I cannot even begin to reconstruct it now, but there were quite a few levels and hue/saturation adjustments. I apologize, but anyway here's my take on the pic. With so much yellow and over-exposure, reverting to black and white seemed to give the best results.
Ohhh thank you!! This looks great! Can you pretty pretty please post the steps you used?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM

The problem is, I did quite a number of steps, and I lost them when my browser crashed on me, cuz I wrote them in the box as I did them. So what I can tell you here can really only be the general steps I took. PLEASE NOTE....This is probably missing aa few steps and critical details...I am sorry about that.

I know I duplicated the image, and on the duplicate layer I did a "levels" adjustment layer, first in the RGB and then in the Yellow sub-channel, to make his skin more of a natural brown color. After that I did an image>adjustments>variations. It was set on mid-tones, to "fine" setting, and 1 click each more blue, more red, and darker. After that I used the hue/saturation dialog to take him back to a true black-n-white. After this I did a quick de-saturate on the background layer, and adjusted the top layer to something like 70% fill. Merged those 2 layers to create 1, then used the "burn" tool on a soft round brush and about 70% strength (I think) to clean up the background. I did use a smaller brush on "blur" tool (60% strength, I think..I maade several passes) to blend in the mottling on his skin. Then I cropped the old frame out entirely, and used custom shape to make a new clean frame in pure white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySedim
The problem is, I did quite a number of steps, and I lost them when my browser crashed on me, cuz I wrote them in the box as I did them. So what I can tell you here can really only be the general steps I took. PLEASE NOTE....This is probably missing aa few steps and critical details...I am sorry about that.

I know I duplicated the image, and on the duplicate layer I did a "levels" adjustment layer, first in the RGB and then in the Yellow sub-channel, to make his skin more of a natural brown color. After that I did an image>adjustments>variations. It was set on mid-tones, to "fine" setting, and 1 click each more blue, more red, and darker. After that I used the hue/saturation dialog to take him back to a true black-n-white. After this I did a quick de-saturate on the background layer, and adjusted the top layer to something like 70% fill. Merged those 2 layers to create 1, then used the "burn" tool on a soft round brush and about 70% strength (I think) to clean up the background. I did use a smaller brush on "blur" tool (60% strength, I think..I maade several passes) to blend in the mottling on his skin. Then I cropped the old frame out entirely, and used custom shape to make a new clean frame in pure white.
Thanks I got to step #1 and adjusted the RGB channel but where is the Yellow sub-channel?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration