RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photo Restoration - 1922 Photo

Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Re: Photo Restoration - 1922 Photo

the border effect is really cool, however, when I printed the pic it was grainy, so I then put it through Neat Image at 50% for everything and this is the results.

Also I am assuming that my receiving family member will want to frame the photo, so would the additional frame be beneficial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web_NEW_orig_bitgray%20sm2.jpg (97.9 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 AM

I also agree with Dave. Some restoration projects just can't be made to look 'like new'. And in fact, too much restoration will often destroy the gentle qualities in an old photo.

A good example of 'over-do' can be found in mine. I blackened her hat way too much.... losing the delicate ribbed qualities under the left side of the brim. I also made her eyes way too dark.

Dave's work is an example of the best of both worlds... combining restoration and retaining original photo qualities.

Cheers,
Sherry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Here is a shot at this one
Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady.jpg (80.9 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm suprised the border came out grainy, my print looked ok. Did you try the larger image link I provided, or did you get it to look satisfactory? Any way, feel free to keep or lose the border as you like. Depending on the frame you put it in, it may look better with, or without it.

Thanks Sunfly, for your nice comments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Red face New Challenge - Family Portrait The Forties

I thought I would share my second challenge which is for more difficult than the first. It appears to have been not protected through time and the faces of the mom and pop are badly marred. The problem I encounter is that in cloning the skin acquires a painted look even though I am using other areas to clone that are similar. I have again attached the original and my work.

I hope you have as much fun with this one, but please share advice about the above problem. The WIP image is the one that I have just restarted working on, I threw out the first one, because I couldn't get it right, thought I would come back for your assistance again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family.40s.jpg (55.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Family.40s.wip.jpg (99.1 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Hi VCOOPER,

I love the photos you've posted and think they can be restored to their original beauty.

I would have given one a try but the size of the photos posted are just too small and artifacted to show you how nice they could come out.

My suggestion is to slow down and stop using filters to cover up damage. The damage is still visible, but now it's just blurred. To get the most out of your restorations, you'll have to do everything in tiny steps. Zoom in and correct damage with the smallest brush. It's a bit tedious for those who are looking for a quick fix, but it will give you results you can be proud of.

Which tools to use? Using layers you can clone, lighten, darken, smudge, etc. Use separate layers for separate pieces of the photo. Stay organized and you'll be able to later edit your fixes without starting all over.

If you post a link to a hi res photo, I'll show you how I would tackle it.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 04:34 AM

The photo was e-mailed to me and it is only 791k, if you are referring to the 40's Family. Is this a workable size. The Lady was a 3x4 xerox that I scanned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 AM

If that's the only size that you have for the family, then it has to be good It doesn't look as badly damaged as the portrait of the lady.

The lady scan looks very strange to me. I guess that's because you said it's a xerox.

When you scan, scan keeping the print size in mind and scan 300 dpi for each 100%

example: your 3x4 lady. If you want to print it exactly as is, you would scan at 300 dpi. Personally, when I have a photo that needs lots of work, I double and scan at 600dpi. You can always drop the dpi after the worst of the damage is repaired.

In the lady scan, my preference would be to scan 1200 dpi. Why? because it's only 3x4 and I would want to print larger and also there's much damage to repair since it's not a photo, but a xerox. (300 dpi for printing, double it to print 6x8, double it to give room to repair the damage) When the work is done you can downsize to 300 dpi at print size and save. Ah, and turn off all scanner enhancements like sharpness, levels, etc. All of that can and should be taken care of in photoshop.

If you have a better scan of the lady, I'd like to give it a try since I think it would make a beautiful photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 05:17 AM

Bill is exactly correct. There is no such thing as a quick fix with many photo restorations. It is tedious work... you either love it or you hate it. :-)

Try this....

Open up your family photo and re-save it as a new photoshop or paintshop file... whichever you are working in.

Add a blank layer over top of the family photo layer.

Select the clone stamp tool. Set it to sample all layers. My brush preference for cloning is a soft round. Opacity 100%. Flow 100%.

Zoom in 300% and 400%. Adjust your brush size down to 3 or 5 pixels.

Start cloning on the blank layer. As Bill stated, by cloning a blank layer, you can erase anything you don't like without losing all the work you are happy with. If you wish, create several layers for different areas of the photo.

Turning the cloning layer visibility on and off enables you to easily see if you are developing the dreaded 'cloning trails'. You also see your progress... it's inspiring!

Hope this helps... for a starter. Oh... and don't forget to 'save' frequently, if your program is not set to auto-save.

Cheers,
Sherry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 05:54 AM

Sharpening, cleaning the picture, and last step was to add some noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16bitgray2.jpg (89.1 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration