RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Eyeballs, etc. - replacing body parts

Old 02-20-2002, 02:51 PM

Eyeballs,etc.

Eyeball transplants seem difficult if both of them are pretty destroyed. Is there an archive of body parts somewhere to borrow from? Someone set a coffee cup on an old pic and pulled off this babies eyes and part of her dress, etc.

I feel like I probably have to pay someone else to do this one, it's a real mess.

Gail
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 04:28 PM

Hi Gail,
I tried to restore it a bit. I didnt have too much time but I got it sort of cleaned up and made an attempt at fixing the eyes. hope this helps you.

- David

(I hope the attachment works)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 04:31 PM

Oops
apparently it didnt work. here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (95.5 KB, 193 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 07:13 PM

IMPRESSED

David: I'm so impressed I don't know what to say, how do people like you do such things and so quickly to? Where do I learn how to do that? Thanks....Gail
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 09:20 PM

Hi again,
um well I've only been doing this for the past week or so so I'm not exactly an expert on it yet. for learning how to restore photos you'll need a good program. I'd suggest the GIMP ( Its a lot like PhotoShop with most of the same features but its free!)you can get it at
http://www.gimp.org
It's a bit hard to learn but a very powerfull program. to get started I'd suggest going through tutorials. I found a few links which should help get you started:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials.html
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/G...and_Tutorials/
When you can get around in the program fine, then trying the RetouchPRO challenges are the best way of learning that I've come across.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 10:16 PM

Modesty

David - your talent must be exceeded only by your modesty. You must be some kind of artist or something...it's difficult for me to believe someone accomplished this kind of work on the baby only working on photo's for a week? Or, just new to this site? Or your current program? Believe me I know experience is the best teacher with this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to have or know where the best tools are. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2002, 10:18 PM

Spots galore

DJ: I know what you mean...I did work on it and actually blurred the back ground and have been cloning the spots one by one on the face, etc. I was just hoping there was some easier way or tool. Grats again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 01:44 AM

I did this with PSP and it took about 20 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby2.jpg (39.7 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 03:19 PM

Question Artists?

So Jean, I give up - are you folks artist to be able to draw eyeballs from nothing? I know you can flip eyes if you have one sorta decent one, but I obviously haven't studied enough PS to do this from scratch. I'm interested in the methods - do you draw with pencil or clone from somewhere. I'm impressed with your results, but am the kind of person who likes to learn how to 'attempt' to do some kind of process that helps expand my basics. Are the techniques in Adobe books? Or, somewhere else? Thanks for any input. And for your great rendition. I'm sure my acquaintance will be amazed at what you and David have done. My mom's the drawing artist in our family (and by the way - she's impressed too with your stuff and she does really nice work). I do have the book 'Human anatomy made amazingly easy', but it seems a lifetime away from just the everyday basics I already put tooooo much time into it. Well, no need for me to write a book - so I'll just say - great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2002, 11:48 PM

Yes, I did basically create new eyes from nothing. Cloned appropriate colours from other places and 'drew' them in. I'm in no way artistic - can't draw a straight clothes line with a pencil or paint brush but I love to fill in stuff like this one or two pixels at a time. I used to retouch by hand for many years. Seems I'm able to finish or change things that someone else has started but no talent for doing my own..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration