Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help! B&W w/severe all over dirt/grunge

Old 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Re: Help! B&W w/severe all over dirt/grunge

When you do the de-screening mode when scanning all it really does is blur the picture therefore kind of blending the cracks together. I would scan the picture in as normal and then go to my Channels and click on red, green, and blue to see which one drops out the most color yet still retains enough detail. Find the one that drops the most color out and then delete the rest of the channels. After you get done doing this you'll have to go to your Image menu and change the Mode to Grayscale, then to RGB to get your channels back. Another thing that works well is using the stamp tool with the mode set to darken or lighten depending on the area you are working on. If you select the lighten mode and take a sample of a nearby area and then run your stamp tool over the crack it will only fix the areas that are darker than the spot you sampled. Then use your healing tool to blend the rest in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Re: Help! B&W w/severe all over dirt/grunge

Originally Posted by photocrazy View Post
Thanks zekeode -- this looks great, too! Is 'PSP photoXI' a full editing program? or some kind of plug in? Any ballpark of the price?
It's a shortening from Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo XI, and it's a full featured editing software. To me it has an easy learning curve and the price is right. (something like $80-100 over USA?)

Was the mask done to keep the 'digital camera noise removal' from working on the outlines, or was that after the noise removal and before the following steps?
First you need to duplicate layer, then add digital camera noise removal to copied layer, then adding mask, and painting over the parts you want to keep sharp/detailed. Maybe there is someone that could point out tutorial for that(?) I'm not very good giving detailed info, as English isn't my native language, and technical words isn't my strongest side.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration