Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

House Restoration

Old 05-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Re: House Restoration

Well I think you all are right -- I too see no paper on the walls either. In a past life I used to paint and wallpaper old Victorian houses. Looks very similiar to a restoration project I did back in the 70's. In the foyer, and I believe this to be a foyer, we applied no wall paper and painted the ceiling pink. WOW is right. After getting the approval from the historical society and they saying that indeed that was a common color for ceilings in that period I started the job wondering what a pink ceiling was going to look like. After it was done it looked great and I'm glad someone was brave enough to try it. Several of my peers came by to check it out and soon it became a recommended color for ceilings. The local paint store kept the formula for others to have mixed. But really according those who know it was the practice to paint not paper foyers -- however I have papered many foyers and stair cases. I don't think yours was papered. Look under the switch plates and outlet covers. Usually this will give you great clues.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 06:09 AM

Cathy, I think you are right about the palms.
I hadn't thought about it, but yes it used to be common for some churches to hand out palm fronds on palm sunday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 AM

I'm sorry -- I posted my request and then went away for several days and forgot it was there. Yes, the "growth" behind the framed picture is a palm frond. The people who lived in this house were Methodists, and I associate the palms on Palm Sunday thing with Roman Catholics, but apparently the Methodists did the same thing a hundred years ago.
I will try to repost a scan of this image at a higher resolution if anyone is interested. I do think the wall was papered. The original treatment was a tromp l'oeil type painting and we have photographic evidence of that -- not contemporary photos -- in the 1970's the historical society stripped all the wallpaper and found the original painted surface -- then repapered it! Why they didn't take photos of each layer of paper as they pulled it off -- or saved bits -- or even why they would cover an original painted surface is hugely lamented, now.
We have removed light switches, ceiling molding, etc and have found a scrap of an Art Nouveau paper which I think was the treatment after the one shown in this photo.
And yes this is a foyer/ front hall -- the newel post is still there and is black walnut, not painted, and does not have a pattern.
I hope that answers all of the questions that came up in the discussion of the image -- and thanks for all of the replies -- I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 AM

and for anyone interested or that may not know:

French for "fool the eye"; a two-dimensional painting designed to look like a three-dimensional object.
and thanks for the info, nspwis. sounds like a bit of architectural archaeology going on there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
But really according those who know it was the practice to paint not paper foyers -- however I have papered many foyers and stair cases. I don't think yours was papered. Look under the switch plates and outlet covers. Usually this will give you great clues.

I have to jump in here - not for photo restoration, but for painted/papered foyers. My house was built in 1840 and when I renovated some 20 years ago, I was very careful to scrape the paper off layer by layer. We could pretty much date when what was done that way. In the hallway (not really a foyer, my house is half of what was originally a double house) there were numerous layers of paper and the bottom layer of paper there, over the ROUGH COAT of plaster, was a hand stamped or stenciled design. Several friends who are history/antique buffs dated it to the 1840 time period. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration