RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

House Restoration

Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 AM

House Restoration

I'm attaching an image that is important for my local historical society, which is restoring an 1867 house. The goal for restoring this photo is to be able to see at least some of the details of the wallpaper in this room. Getting this to the point of a perfectly restored photograph would be nice, but the information in the photo is more important at the moment. (In other words, even if the photo looks terrible, if we can see what the wallpaper looks like, we will be very, very happy.)
I've gotten it to the point where I can pick up a faint pattern of the paper on the slanting ceiling, but can't get the pattern on the wall. I'm a beginner at photo restoration so I'm hoping someone with more experience will have better results.
A scan of the original photo is attached.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.04 600 VS Front Hall.jpg (72.1 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 AM

Re: House Restoration

I can find no pattern but maybe you need to post a much higher resolution of an area of the wall as opposed to the actual picture, as all I get when I zoom in on the wall is pixelation. Otherwise, maybe you could post the picture on a site and post a link to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3[1].04%20600%20VS%20Front%20Hall copy.jpg (91.5 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 PM

I took the picture into a blow-up program and did get some type of pattern on the wall. Whether this pattern is wallpaper or an artifact produced as a result of the process, I don't know. If it is a wallpaper pattern it looks like a tone on tone pattern.

dc

Looking at the picture a second time I am more of the opinion that this may be an artifact and not wallpaper; however, I am not an expert on the paper patterns of that period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallpaper.jpg (30.5 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

I'm gonna agree with DC. I too blew this up in Genuine Fractals and zoomed in on the upper left corner where the wall meets the archway. Looks like the artifacting extends into an architectural feature that normally would not be covered by wallpaper. The additional clue is, there is no repeat looking pattern that wall paper may have.

My guess... painted plaster for the wall which would be more typical in an entry hall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallpaper.jpg (94.7 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM

no pattern that i can discern either. the noise/artifacting pattern is consistent throughout. looks like a normal plaster and lathe wall.

what's got me puzzled, though, is that 'thing' behind the picture on the wall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Patron

I don't think there's any wallpaper there. Did a little 'forensic' photoshopping on the image to look for a pattern and couldn't really find one. Started by blending the red and green channels in linear light mode to increase contrast on the wall. Then took the resulting gray scale image and made a curve that was really steep in the wall area to boost contrast still more. On separate layers I copied pieces of image that should be featureless ( the front of the newel post on the stairway and a piece of the door frame) and moved the snippets over the wall. Changed those layers to difference mode, hoping that any systematic wallpaper pattern would show up. Result in both cases was an essentially black swatch with apparently random noise. Could do the same thing with the sloped ceiling and get a bigger comparison area, but that assumes the ceiling wasn't papered and we don't know that.

That growth behind the picture is the real mystery. Cracked plaster?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallpaper-query.jpg (97.9 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 PM

I have to agree, I don't think that there is any wall paper there either. I tried a forensics filter on it, and still didn't see anything. I think that that growth behind the picture is actually an arrangement of twigs fanned out and placed behind the frame of the picture. I can see a shadow in the same direction that the picture frame throughs, so I don't think that it is cracked plaster.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
what's got me puzzled, though, is that 'thing' behind the picture on the wall.
I think they are palms, like some church's give out on a Palms Sunday service. People would save them until next year.
That is my guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Patron

Palms! Of Course!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM

i've never heard of the practice of putting palms up like that, but ok. it certainly looks like an object and not something goofed up by age or wear. if you look at the picture in front of it, it's skewed by the object.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration