RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to remove red spots

Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM

Re: How to remove red spots

I had successfully restored the photo and it came out very well. The last time I tried to show a photo that I had restored and was told not to show the same photo twice. How can I show this photo that I had restored without mentioning the same subject? I thanked everyone for their help, time, and expertise.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Edit your post & include a link to Image Shack or Photobucket
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Patron

Gerald just change the name of the photo you restored. Since that would be a different photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM

gerald, you can certainly show a before and after. nothing wrong with that. you've already got the before posted, so showing the after is perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM

Graphic23, I'm new here and very new to photoshop and after reading your last few post's, I'm absolutely amazed! I,m kind of at that point you said in another post where i looked at the channel thing and though that looks pretty!
Anyway i would LOVE to see what you could do with the restoration challenge 79, it has a lot of yellow dots on it but in good nick other than that, I tried to do what you have been talking about, but like a Neanderthal!

I thought all these spots are the same color, You've got to be able to get rid of them some how, My attempt turned out "black and black" through contrasting.

I'll have to get that book on the subject that you talked about and have another swing at it with your methods.

Again I'm amazed, I don't even know what your talking about "yet".
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
but in good nick other than that,
in good nick? what does 'nick' mean here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM

Sorry mate, Aussie here, It means good condition, Sometimes i forget you guys mite not know what the hell im talking about, I'll try and be clearer in future, Did'nt mean any offence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 AM

no offense taken. i just want to understand. no reason i cant learn a new language

and if i havent said it before, welcome to RP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 AM

Ha ha. Oh good then consider me your guide to Aussie slang, Unintentionally, just cant help typing the way i talk, Will try to keep it under control though.

and thanks for the welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
Graphic23, I'm new here and very new to photoshop and after reading your last few post's, I'm absolutely amazed!
Thank you, that's very nice of you to say.

I'm new here as well, but I'm not exactly new to Photoshop.

Quote:
I,m kind of at that point you said in another post where i looked at the channel thing and though that looks pretty!
Just about everything done in Photoshop - Blurring, Color adjustments, Sharpening, even making a simple marque selection - is done to and with channels. About the only things that don't involve channels are the type and paths features.

For anyone using Photoshop, a thorough knowledge of channels and how to manipulate them is invaluable.

Quote:
Anyway i would LOVE to see what you could do with the restoration challenge 79, it has a lot of yellow dots on it but in good nick other than that, I tried to do what you have been talking about, but like a Neanderthal!
If you're referring to the channel blending moves I used in some of my posts, they may not work very well in this example. The image is a B&W which has been yellowed with age and scanned in RGB. The real power of channel blending comes from working with full color images. There does appear to be a little more detail in the Blue channel than either the Red or Green. I might try using a Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer, set to Monochrome, then emphasize the Blue channel and reduce the Red.

What I would most likely try first is to create a mask to isolate the worst of the damage. To do so I would convert to LAB and use the B channel to create the mask. Then probably use the Clone Stamp tool to repair most of the damage. I would follow up by adjusting contrast both overall and locally, then see if I couldn't coax some detail out with some judicious sharpening moves. Finally, I would convert to Duotone.

Quote:
I thought all these spots are the same color, You've got to be able to get rid of them some how, My attempt turned out "black and black" through contrasting.
You have the right idea. Unfortunately, the damage exists in all three channels. So blending moves would not be able to reveal any hidden detail. That's the essence of channel blending, taking detail from one channel to enhance or repair detail in another.

Quote:
I'll have to get that book on the subject that you talked about and have another swing at it with your methods.
I'm sure you're referring to books by Dan Margulis. I highly recommend you start with Photoshop LAB Color. Another author I like is Katrin Eismann. She has a book that is specific to restoration and retouching. Both authors require a certain dedication from their readers, but with your enthusiasm I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quote:
Again I'm amazed, I don't even know what your talking about "yet".
And again, thank you.

Understanding will come with perseverance and time. One topic which supports my channel skills is color theory. Check out Wikipedia for starters. Then read the articles here:

http://www.worqx.com/color/index.htm

I'm always willing to answer questions, so don't be shy. And judging from your posts, that's a trait from which you don't appear to suffer.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration