RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to remove red spots

Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM

How to remove red spots

I would like to know how to remove these red spots from this photo. I had tried the channel method but I wasn't successful. I had opened the channel pallette and choose the green channel because it has more contrast. I do not know how to pick the green channel and turn it back into a color channel. I had tried this method a long time ago and never get the hang of doing it properly. I know it can become useful when a photo has defects like stains etc. It save us a lot of time from painstakingly cloning out the stains etc. Thanks for your help.

Gerald Sr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie-Family038gm.jpg (93.9 KB, 256 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Re: How to remove red spots

The stains, being red, are most visible on the Red Channel. This is were we make our repairs. There are other things we can do to improve this picture, but this should get you started.

I agree, the Green Channel offers the best detail to help us fix the Red.

Copy the Background layer to a new layer (Ctrl/Cmd J).

Select the Red Channel (Ctrl/Cmd 1) to make it active, then hit the Tilde key ~ (top left on your keyboard) so you can view the composite image.

Go to Image>Apply Image. Source will default to the image we're working on. Change Layer to Background, Channel to Green, Blending to Normal, Opacity to 100%. This will remove most of the stains but will also change the overall color. Make sure the Preview checkbox is checked so you can see the change.

Now let's do another channel blend to help the Blue Channel.

Select the Blue Channel (Ctrl/Cmd 3). Go to Image>Apply Image. Change Layer to Background, Channel to Green, Blending to Add, Opacity to around 30%. I liked 30%, but feel free to adjust to taste.

There you go. Two quick channel blends and you've jump started your repair considerably!

Have fun,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie-Family038gm-EDIT.jpg (100.0 KB, 166 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 PM

Thanks Graphic23, I'll try your method and see how it comes out. I appreaciate your help.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 PM

I noticed that all of the red spots are all gone, nicely done. How would I bring the photo back to its original color?.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 AM

This is my try.

-Cloning
-healing brush
-Historybrush (lighten-darken) after doing dust and scratches
-burn and dodge tool
-third party filter to air-brush the photo
-Not perfect,but improved.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family_web.jpg (186.8 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 AM

I tried a different approach. 1. remove color cast and adjust levels. 2. add a new layer in color mode. Sample color near red areas and paint over red areas. 3. add new layer in soft light blending mode filled with neutral color. Paint using black or white at 18% opacity to dodge/burn to balance tonal differences where the red areas were. 4. used clone and/or healing brush to fix some defects. 5. There was motion blur so merged layers and applied smart sharpen to compensate slightly. 6 . reduce noise. 7. staightened and cropped.

It still needs quite a bit of work to clean up. Color balance could possibly be touched up a tad. Also, fixing the catch lights in the eyes would help give the illusion that it's sharper. But, you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie-Family038gm2.jpg (92.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by BobJones; 05-30-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren View Post
I noticed that all of the red spots are all gone, nicely done. How would I bring the photo back to its original color?.

Gerald McClaren

Arrrr, so ye wants to have yer cake an' eats it too? Well, since it was I what got ya inter these murky shoals, I guess I be honor bound t' plot ya a course fer safer waters. Arrrr.

(Pirate mode off)

My initial post was aimed solely at getting you started with channel blending, an art form which requires a certain predilection for experimentation. Let's see if we can't do a better job this time around by trying some variations on the theme.

Let's return to our original image (you do still have the original, right?). We setup our blend just as we did before; copy the background layer (Ctrl/Cmd J), make the Red channel active (Ctrl/Cmd 1), display the composite image (Tilde Key ~).

In our first example we blended the Green channel into the Red using Normal mode at 100%, which completely replaced the Red channel with the Green. While this move did a marvelous job of removing the red stains, it had the unfortunate effect of sending our image towards gray. This time let's choose Pin Light. Now we get to keep our color but still strike a strong blow at the red stains. They're not completely gone, but we're in much better shape. See attachment 1.

Let's see if we can't hit the stains again. Setup just as before, but now blend the green into the red using Normal mode at 100%. To confine the effects of this blend check the Mask checkbox, set Image to the working image and channel to Blue. This will prevent the blend from making our reds too gray but still reduce the stains. See attachment 2.

I specifically neglected to address the color cast in my last post. Let's do so now.

I don't know what color the coats should be. Clearly they're yellow, but what shade of yellow? Likewise, I don't know what color the walls are. They could be a cream color, but maybe not. But there is one thing in this image that we can count on, the hair should not be a yellowish red.

Using the Eyedropper tool on various parts of the hair reveals that red values average twice the green, which in turn are typically twice the blue. Not good. So we create a curves adjustment layer, and in the three-quartertone we lower the red and raise the blue. See attachment 3.

At this point there's still quite a bit to be done. Using the green channel we could do a luminosity blend to boost contrast, not to mention all the cloning and healing that's left. Then there's local contrast adjustments, noise reduction, and sharpening. But those are subjects for another time.

(Pirate mode on)

Arrrr, so there ye be, me hearty! Back on course with smooth sailin' ahead!

Fair winds,

Cap'n MadEye (aka Michael)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-PinLightBlend.jpg (94.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2-BlendWithMask.jpg (94.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 3-CurvesAdjustment.jpg (95.3 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Graphics23; 05-31-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 AM

I have the original Graphics23. DCobb, thanks for your input and time, the photo came out very, very good. You didn't explained in detail what you had done, I'll try and follow your method. BobJones, thanks for your input and help, I'll try your method also. Graphics23, I really appreaciated your time and expertise in helping me. I'll put all this information together and work on this photo and I'll let you guys know how it came out. Thanks again gentlemen.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM

I replaced the red channel with green & used channels mixer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willie-Family038gm 13A.jpg (182.4 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Patron

Well many of the artifacts weren't red. So the usual tools like the spot healing brush worked fine. For the red areas what I did was select the red channel in the channels palette and view the RGB channel and then used the burn tool on the red channel while viewing the RGB channel that seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately I'm unable to upload the corrected photo for some reason.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration