RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing Scotch tape from a photo

Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM

Removing Scotch tape from a photo

I just received a photo in the mail from a client. It's an 11X20 inch class graduation photo from 1958. In addition to the standard issue of scratches, blue ink, and torn edges, I have a more serious problem.

Due to the size of the photo, the owner folded it in quarters for storage. Over time, the creases became tears, and the photo ended up in four pieces. This is actually a bonus, because I can now scan each piece individually.

The problem is that he thought it would be smart to tape the picture together to create hinges to make it easier to store and show "without damaging it further". Unfortunately, he also taped the front. The tape is still clear and pliable, but because he never pressed out all the air, the bubbles make it cloudy. If scanned, it will have a different reflectivity than the photo, and - I think - require more work to repair than if I removed the tape.

I think the tape should be removed, and am not afraid of trying, but before I undertake this task of removing over 40 inches of tape from a photo, I wanted other people's opinion/experience on how to reduce the damage this causes.

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Re: Removing Scotch tape from a photo

Was discussed in this thread...

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...otch-tape.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Be sure and get a good scan before you start, in case the removal further damages your originals.

Usually the tape tends to yellow. This can usually be corrected by removing yellows from the photo using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. As far as the bubbles in the tape that are cloudy, I would try to remove the bubbles only at first, to enable you to see what is under the bubble without further damaging the print. This is painstaking work, and will probably have to be done with an exacto knife. If you decide to continue from their to remove tape from the photo, be sure and get a new scan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - basically this was what I was planning - a primary scan, careful removal of the tape in the real world, then a second scan. Fortunately, the tape never yellowed - it actually looks fairly new. If anyone has a good method for the physical removal of tape, please lemme know!!

Again, thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM

I have removed tape from several photos, and unfortunately I haven't come across a sure fire way to do so. There are so many variables, the most important which is probably the glue. I have seen some that can be carefully peeled off, and others that are stuck so good that no amount of work will peel it off without destroying the photo. Unfortunately, most chemicals that might break the bond of the glue, will also destroy the photo, so it strictly a case by case basis. I usually try to stay away from removing any stuck on tape at all, and make the repair in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 PM

you might also look in our 'history, conservation and repair' forum. often some good tips on things like that in there. or, go to the top of this forum and look at the stickies: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...restoring.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNads View Post
I just received a photo in the mail from a client. It's an 11X20 inch class graduation photo from 1958. In addition to the standard issue of scratches, blue ink, and torn edges, I have a more serious problem.

Due to the size of the photo, the owner folded it in quarters for storage. Over time, the creases became tears, and the photo ended up in four pieces. This is actually a bonus, because I can now scan each piece individually.

The problem is that he thought it would be smart to tape the picture together to create hinges to make it easier to store and show "without damaging it further". Unfortunately, he also taped the front. The tape is still clear and pliable, but because he never pressed out all the air, the bubbles make it cloudy. If scanned, it will have a different reflectivity than the photo, and - I think - require more work to repair than if I removed the tape.

I think the tape should be removed, and am not afraid of trying, but before I undertake this task of removing over 40 inches of tape from a photo, I wanted other people's opinion/experience on how to reduce the damage this causes.

Thanks for your help!!!
Hi jaynads

i hope you've solve your problem with the scotch tape, i've removed a thick tape from an old photo, it was pretty easy, would you mind send me your pic, i wouldn't mind having a look. if i find the photo i've done i shall show you. pm me.

regards

sergio

http://www.photo-makeover.biz
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 AM

I have to ask...have you consulted with your customer about removing the tape? Personally, I wouldn't try to remove it.
I would try using a blend of multiple scans - each scan adjusted in the scanning software to optimize a particular area.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
I have to ask...have you consulted with your customer about removing the tape? Personally, I wouldn't try to remove it.
I would try using a blend of multiple scans - each scan adjusted in the scanning software to optimize a particular area.
I've let this sit for a few days while I finish other projects. I spoke with the customer - he understands that removal of the tape may result in more damage to the photo, but he also concedes that there the original is pretty trashed (it is in 4 pieces, hence the tape), and as long as I can restore it and provide him with a "good as new" or at least significantly better, then he doesn't care what becomes of the original. I have no doubts that I can fix this, I just wanted a few suggestions before I started.

I will make multiple scans, then I will try to remove the tape, as long as I can do this without any significant damage, then I'll get a better scan.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration