RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

New member, help with restoration

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Re: New member, help with restoration

Quote:
Question, do you know if there’s anything in Photoshop similar to the Clarify filter you used?
well, i have photoshop installed, but i dont use it much yet, so i cant really tell you for sure. what it tends to do is bring out highlights and darken shadows for some nice contrast. so, using photoshop's shadows/midtones/highlights could probably get you a similar end result with a bit of tweaking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2007, 02:20 AM

Hi,

after clonestamping, on softlight blended layer levels-auto, burned hair and dodged faces, linearlight blended layer highpass 9.6 black layer mask dodged over details

saby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great_grandparents.jpg (96.1 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Patron

Great GrandParents

Well I decolorized it using the red channel since that seemed to be the best channel. Next I used Neat Image to remove some of the artifacts.

After that I selected the folks and extracted them to a new layer and created a new background.

For further noise removal I copied the folks layer and used surface blur and to that layer I used a layer mask to control what became blurred.

I added a few outlines in

I finally added a sepia tone back into the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GGrand1.jpg (73.8 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 PM

Here is something quick I put together.
- cropped
- cloned /healed out the stains
- made a selection around the subjects
- adjusted with curves to bring back some detail
- inversed the selection
- blurred the background
- changed to black and white using Gradient map and levels
- used Hue/Saturation colorize to add a sepia tone
- add a very light soft focus with gaussian blur
- dodged / burned certain areas on the faces

...I think that was it....

Anyway, this is just a quick method to get decent results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great_grandparents copy.jpg (67.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Thank you again for your clarifications and detailed explanations. What you‘ve all done with the image looks great. Phil I wish I had that Surface Blur tool, looks like I need to consider upgrading from CS ;-) I’ve downloaded a demo version of Neat Image, I just haven’t had a chance to check it out or do much at all with any of these new techniques, I’ve had a lot on my plate this week. I’m looking forward to putting in some serious exploration time over the weekend though…
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Ok here’s my attempt using some of the techniques you’ve all described. I started from scratch with the original image rather than tweak my earlier attempt.

First off, Neat Image rocks, I love what it does. It really makes a huge difference. The demo version only works on an image area of 1024 x 1024 pixels (I think) so I cropped the image and worked mainly on the man’s head and face. I’m not very organized when working in Photoshop as far as labeling layers and keeping track of adjustments as I go so I can’t exactly remember specifics, but basically after cropping the image I applied Neat Image using the default settings and made some channel mixer adjustments. It seemed that the green channel had the least amount of blemishes or artifacts in the face so I mostly used that channel, then I bumped up the contrast a good bit while lowering the brightness a little. I dodged out the background (something I’ve never tried before) and then used the burn tool to darken the hair and fill in parts of the mustache and eyebrows. I wasn’t happy with the results I was getting using the dodge tool to lighten the face, so I resorted mostly to the clone tool set to either lighten or darken to smooth out the differences in shading. I removed the spots and fixed the eyebrow the same way. I also roughly selected the right side of the nose, flipped it and tweaked it to add a little bit of detail on the left side. Just a little shadow really. Lastly I duplicated the layer and set it to Soft Light at 60% for a last bit of highlight/shadow adjustment, and then duplicated the layer again, applied the high pass filter, set the layer to Linear Light, added a layer mask and painted over a few areas for added sharpness. I think that’s about it….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attempt_.jpg (48.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 PM

dolce, excellent! that's a great improvement and i'm quite happy to see that you followed the first rule of restoration, 'DO NO DAMAGE'.

ok, stage 2: on your current work, you've still got a couple things left to do. his right cheek is a bit blown out. it's a bit too bright. you could burn it darker, use a lighten/darken tool or use a brush. i generally prefer the airbrush. make a new blank layer over your existing ones. take your airbrush and set it to about 3-5 opacity. set the density down below 50. and pick your color/shade from the existing face. pick something slightly darker than what you're going to paint over. you want to shade this area a bit. since you're on a blank layer, nothing you do is going to hard your other layers. if you overspray you can either undo or use a light opacity eraser, like around 5 opacity. the eraser brush is also a good way to just clean up edges that get sprayed that you want to clean up.

once you've got a bit of spray on and things look halfway decent, blur this layer with a gausian blur. doesnt have to be much and depends on how well you've covered the area. so, could be anywhere from 1 to 24 or so. just try a few different settings. this will effectively shadow that side of the face.

next, the shirt is still streaked. you can go several ways on this. you can add noise or paint to smooth this out or you could clone/smudge. either way can be effective.

and lastly, though you may not be ready for this yet if the rest of the image isnt done, i'd do something with the background, a texture, a gradient or even a blurred backdrop type image. this will soften the harshness of all that black and white.

and here you thought you were done
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Had to try this picture too.

PSP Photo XI:

Clarify, Sharpening with large radius, Noise removal and lots of cloning...and then some more cloning. Last part was to add some noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great_grandparents_zekeode.jpg (86.4 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Hey thanks Craig, and oh yeah, I know I'm far from done with this one ;-) In fact I'll have to start all over again to do the whole image - this is more of a learning experience right now.

Ok I added the shading to the right cheek, and a little to his chin while I was at it. I think it still needs work. As far as the shirt, I did mess with it a little in my previous attempt but all I did was copy it to a new layer and burn the outlines of the collar and tie a bit, then I copied it again, blurred it, set it to Screen and lowered the opacity. It smoothed out the streaks a little and brightened the shirt but you're right, it needs more work. So I tried both of your suggestions.

I copied the shirt again to a new layer and smudged it up real good, then I added a little bit of noise so it matches the rest of the image. I also went back and added a mask to the layer with the burned outlines, filled it with black and then painted just the outlines back in (since I had pretty much smudged them away in the layer below), and while I was at it I added in the collar on the right side since it was pretty much not there at all. That could still be tweaked a little more.

I tried adding a blurred backdrop-type background, not crazy about it but it's better than white.

That's it for now, thanks for the feedback

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attempt_2.jpg (51.0 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 PM

zekeode, that looks really good. It's a hell of an image, isn't it? I also like what saby, Phil & Rocco did with it. I think I'm cloning away too much detail with my attempts, I don't know. It's too smooth or something...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration