Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

New member, help with restoration

Old 06-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Re: New member, help with restoration

Originally Posted by dolce_man View Post
...I think I'm cloning away too much detail with my attempts, I don't know. It's too smooth or something...
Hi John,

I think there are more det. on the retouched and desaturated image, good job

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 AM

lookin better and better.

his whole right side (camera left) is still quite bright. you could do a mask/selection and add noise or airbrush it.

i'm sorta working along on this also and looking at your posts in psp xi. i ended up masking the entire face and setting this as a selection on a new layer and adding gausian noise, monochrome and then blurring that layer to smooth it a bit. i then changed the noise type and did it again and blurred it again. i also did some erasing on the lighter parts with an eraser brush set at 5 or below. make sure if you go this way that you either mask out the eyes or do a heavy erase over them when you finish the noise and blurring to bring that detail back out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 AM

Hi dolce man,

I had to have a quick go at your photo too, something about it caught my eye. You've done a great job, as have all the others. I didnt restore so much as give some highlights with dodge-burn, clone and heal brushes, clone out the lines and discoloration/fading on the bottom, painted in a little in white areas and used dissolve on yet other layers to add back texture to some smoothed out spots, desaturated and added back some sepia.

I liked the painterly look of the picture over-all after bringing up the levels, so kept it, but then I'm not trying to do a restoration of family photos. I think that's what I liked best about it (I'm an artist first, photo restorer second). This one has just the look of charcoals I used to enjoy doing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00001GGP_Hl2.jpg (51.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 00001GGP_Hl2lt.jpg (49.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by jannetie; 07-01-2007 at 05:13 AM. Reason: add image
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Good grief, in the last few weeks I haven't had a whole two minutes to spend on this image, so much other stuff going on. Craig and Saby though, thanks for the encouragement. I guess the thing with his right cheek, it seems like there should be more shadow on his left cheek because of the angle of his face, and when I was trying to add it to his right side it just seemed like it was making everything too uniform. Although it could be because I just wasn't doing it right - working with shadows and shading and stuff, I'm not really sure what the heck I'm doing. I don't really have an artist's background, sketching and all that. I'm sure that would come in handy with retouching. Speaking of artists, Janice I like the charcoal look, particularly the one to the right. I suspect this image was originally the result of an artistic rather than a photographic endeavor anyway the more I look at it. One question, how did you use Dissolve to add texture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 PM

dont worry too much about the right cheek/side, but if you want to try it, take your airbrush tool and set the density way down, like 20 to 30 or so. set the opacity to 5 or less and set your brush size to something a little less than the area you want to cover. i dont know what brush types you have, so just use the default.

with those settings, dont stroke the paint on; dab it. just dab, dab, dab and follow that in a line up the side of his face. it may be hard to see at first and you may have to adjust those settings a bit too. if you stroke it on you'll tend to get a streaky looking thing. what you want is shadow and a bit of a grainy/texture look. it takes some practice, but it's a fairly easy way to get a decent result.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration