Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help on technique for restoring photos that have gone pink

Old 06-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Re: Help on technique for restoring photos that have gone pink

lookin better, cdrw.

blown out whites are always a bit difficult. the baby has this on the dress and the third pic looks to have it also. most normal color corrections wont handle this very well, which is why i went with the airbrush. you can also use curves and levels to try and bring them down, but there's still going to be no contrast within them and therefore no texture/grain or color to speak of. i often handle blown out whites with airbrush, paintbrush or clone. sometimes you can even cut and paste in a substitute of some kind.

i took another crack at the baby. this time i made a filter in filterforge for just this picture. i brought that back into psp and ran a curves and a light bit of clarify. this time i didnt correct any of the shadows or marks within the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-ff-col-cor-1-k-1b.jpg (189.4 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Re: Help on technique for restoring photos that have gone pink

I've simply moved in the Levels slider on each individual Channel. If you can do this in your scanner you'll get a much better quality picture to work on because there's more information to work with.

This may not be the complete answer, but will make it a lot easier for any further steps. I'm not familiar with Elements but many scanners work at a greater Bit depth e.g. 16 than many imaging programs so they can see and reveal information that an 8 Bit program can't.

Depending on the exact state of the image you'll find you have a head start with some decent Channel information to work on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample%202-Levels.jpg (99.9 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration