Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What is this stuff?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Re: What is this stuff?

Susie, I would say you did a very good job. I wish I could take credit for the duplicate and move layer method. Actually I learned it from Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Restoration and Retouching.

Janice, The FFT filter takes some practice to learn to use, and not all FFT filters are the same. Some of the free ones don't work very well. Even with a good filter, it only works with a very regular pattern that can be defined mathematically, which is how it works. I won't pretend to understand the math, (Because I don't have a clue). One thing that I have found in using it though is when looking at the tutorials that I have found, they say that you should put a gray spot over the star that it creates. I found what works better is to paint a gray pattern in the shape of the star, usually shaped like a plus sign. I paint it with the color of gray in the bulk of the pattern with a soft brush set to slightly smaller than the center of the star. This method seems to work a lot better for me. The FFT filter that I am using I got from The people there will let you have it for free, but you need to send them an email and ask for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by lcramer53 View Post
I'm trying to work on fixing up old family photos and am learning a lot through RP, but the problem that presents itself in this particular photo has me stumped. What is all of the white stuff from? I'm afraid that other pictures my family has will have these white spots too and I want to learn how to fix them. I'll try to post the original and my attempt at fixing it (far cry from being fixed).

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Had to crop the whole picture, some of these people don't want their faces on the web .
I get them from time to time when I've scanned in an old (or new) photo. I think this is dust on the photo and/or scanner glass.

I've cleaned the glass and find the dust is less prevalent.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks Maureen, I had scanned the photo several times after cleaning my scanner glass and the picture and the image that I first posted was my "best" scan result. I'm happy to have all of these remedies to apply to future white spot problems. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration