RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Craig, good question
Personally I think if the photo is similar to the one above, then why not get it as good as is possible? just because it was "bad" in the first place it doesn't mean it has to stay bad (does it?) What happens if the snap was taken in poor light? does it have to stay "wrong" when it can be "fixed"? after all it's still just a snap, it's not as tho' it would be changeing the world.
Now, if it was a historical document, and say you added things into it (say a helicopter, just because you liked them ) then it would be wrong, but I say "get the image as good as you can with the information that is there".
This could do with another thread starting because I can see this going further!
Regards.....John

Last edited by Britsdad; 07-12-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling.....again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 AM

britsdad,

i was thinking of this more if you were a professional charging for the service. do you stop at the restored stage and charge only for that or do you take it to that next step and just automatically include that in your charges or do you stop at the restore and then contact the customer?

a simple example of this is, a customer comes in and says, 'i want this restored'. now, i'm sure most of you have run into situations where someone says one thing, but means another. so, they say they want it restored, but what they really want is a pristine, professionally shot photograph. in other words, they want the restore and the extras. they're just assuming the 'extras' are part of the restore job.

now, if you estimate the job of restoring as taking 2 hours, let's say, and tell the customer that, and they say fine and then come back for the finished product and it's only been restored but not the extra, they are likely to be quite disappointed. so, do you automatically include the extras in the estimate, just do the restore estimate but tell them it can be taken further and ask if they want that also or do you do something else?

and yes, this could develop into a longer thread and may indeed need its own thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Hi All,

I'm new, but thought I'd have a quick go at this before bedtime. The results are attached.

As per the discussion above about how far we should go with restoration, I think it is important to remember that colour from the 60's, 70's etc., was a lot different than it is today. Do we stick to the original, or try and put older photos into todays colour spectrum - I think they look better left in the original spectrum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boys-copy.jpg (85.8 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
britsdad,

do you stop at the restored stage and charge only for that or do you take it to that next step and just automatically include that in your charges or do you stop at the restore and then contact the customer?

do you automatically include the extras in the estimate, just do the restore estimate but tell them it can be taken further and ask if they want that also or do you do something else?

Craig,
If I were a pro, I don't think I would have thought about not going to "the next step" I would have just assumed that's what the customer wanted, unless they specifically ask differently.
I have done little odds and sods for friends (as you must have seen on this forum) and the buzz it gives me when they see the full (next step included) restore is amazing. You wouldn't get that if you "just restored" it.
Going further, surely this must be a question you would ask a client before you start the restore/retouch, if you were doing it for a living, isn't it?
Regards.......John
Edit....sorry Alison
Got a bit carried away there...welcome to RetouchPRO, nice job, and I agree with you, old photo's look better as "old photo's", but do the people who want a restore agree, or do they want it to look as good as it can possibly be, "next step" included?

Last edited by Britsdad; 07-13-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM

In response to Craig's issue, goals are situational. If you are trying to achieve a historically accurate restoration, you have one set of goals. If you are restoring for yourself or a friend for the family album, you have another. A professional must satisfy the desires of the client whose desires must come first.

Before I was able to do my own restorations, I had some professionally done. The restorer asked a lot of questions and we had a clearly defined scope of work before anything was done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Excellent discussion, Craig! Boy, what you said sure is true... i'm sure most of you have run into situations where someone says one thing, but means another. so, they say they want it restored, but what they really want is a pristine, professionally shot photograph. in other words, they want the restore and the extras. they're just assuming the 'extras' are part of the restore job.

(A little off subject here) I, like others here, have done some work for the Operation Photo Rescue people..... one of the hardest things they ask you to do with the restorations is to 'preserve the FEEL of the picture'..... at times, it was next to impossible to keep myself from using my own dad's hand to replace a hand missing from a damaged photo..... or, not bumping up the saturation to today's saturation......sort of like Stuart on MAD TV "Watch what I can do" ...... but when I thought about it, it is the FEEL of my old photos that means so much to me, too.

(Back on subject) I guess it is a good idea to have a portfolio with original 'picture A' next to a basic restoration of 'picture A' with price and, then, a super duper laser light show version restoration of 'picture A' with it's 'linked to layer' price..... but the artist in me keeps puttin' off that project....

oxox
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 AM

alison, welcome to RetouchPRO.

nicely done on the restore.

now, to everyone, alison did a good job of restoring here. she didnt add any 'extras'. she simply brought the image back to its original state. that's the definition of restore. and britsdad, not everyone wants the extras. they sometimes only want the original. so, bobjones has it right. you have to ask the customer. what do they need and want?

i used to write custom lyrics for weddings and things like that. very personal stuff. and the real trick was to grill them about what they wanted... what they really wanted! the way i'd do this was to just start asking questions about themselves. i'd get them to tell me stories of themselves and they'd practically write the lyrics for me by telling these stories. all i had to do was arrange them. so, that's just one example of finding out what the customer wants.

you may find yourself doing restores of documents instead of images someday. those wanting document restoration generally want EXACT duplicates of the originals. no frills whatsoever. when i started restoring old family photos, especially old tintypes that were crumpled and faded and worn, it was all i could do to just get the original back and i wouldnt have ever thought of adding on something extra to fit modern photography. it just would have been out of place for those images. and like beth said, there is a certain 'feel' to images, especially dated images. each time period of photographic history has a slightly different look and feel.

but, getting back to alison's image. again, a very nice job of restoring, but it might not 'wow!' the customer. they may have been expecting a fix of the washed out faces. customers dont always know what's possible, or worse, they may think more is possible than is. so, you have to ask. you cant assume. you may assume and be right, but you may also assume and lose the work because you didnt really provide what was wanted.

now, britsdad, when you're doing 'odds and sods' for friends and family, especially if you're going to surprise them with a gift of the finished image, that's a bit different. noone commissioned you more than likely. you simply wanted to wow them. and that's cool. i've done that too. and in those cases i dont ask. it would spoil the surprise. you shld have seen my mother when i restored a picture of her as a baby laid out naked on a rug. lol. boy, was she surprised

i've also seen a wide variety of restores and restore plus extras here on RetouchPRO. and this again isnt commisioned work. folks tend to do the restore plus. it just gets more wows. and that's perfectly acceptable here. but in commisioned work you ALWAYS have to find out exactly what the customer really wants, not necessarily what they first say they want. some will just tell you, 'just make it better' and that's really all they want, but some will say the same thing and mean 'i want the wow!'. so, find out. ask. the old saying about assume is that 'assume' makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 AM

oh, and hi beth good to see you here again
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks, Craig....... I've been working on 146 photos and then a slideshow of them...... I sure missed being here.... but I'm glad you 'saved me a seat'!

oxoxo
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 AM

146... wow, why so few? family stuff or business?

and yup, you've always got a seat here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration