RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Old 07-20-2007, 02:14 AM

Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Gosh, Craig..... I've been trying to reply but .... I was gonna try & explain but thought it'd make more sense to see my 'Mom was Morphed' thread..... it has to do with the zillion pictures I've been working on..... man, if they had been for clients...Geeez.... let's see.... at a dollar a picture.... I could've been a zillionaire......

oxoxo's
Beth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 AM

Have been reading this very interesting discussion and would like to share in the conversation if I may. I do restoration as an add on to our Kodak Express store. I do my best but I'm also still learning (probably be that way till I'm old and grey . What I've learned about my customers with their old images or poor images is that I need to be respectful and cautious because of their emotional connection to the image they have bought to me. I talk to them about that first. Who is it? What relation are they? (Sometimes have to cut short the biography Then I talk to them about why they are restoring it and what they plan to do with the restored copy. This also gives me an idea of what level restoration they want. So the process of defining their expectations and their needs can take at least 15 minutes.

At the beginning they usually are pretty vague and because I can see somewhat what needs to be done, I can be more specific. This helps them define further what they want. I also explain the process because you'd be surprised how many people think they'll get their old photo back repainted rather than reprinted, or alternatively that you will be working on their original which if I stuff up they'll never see again.

I also have a loupe so that they can see for themselves when I talk about moire or something else and can clearly see the problem of why the image my be slightly sofer when they get it. So they get involved in the process of what I reasonably can do and can't do with their image. Then they get my quote based on THEIR understanding of what I will do.

I'm happy, they're happy, and I don't have any complaints afterwards.
So as far as going the next step, or an add-on. Surely you will do the best job you can with the material you have. The customer is assured that you will within the limitations you have given them.

This beats the...."Can you restore this image" "Yep my cost is such and such per hour" "Well, I don't want to pay that can you just scan it in and copy it? How much is that"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
now, to everyone, alison did a good job of restoring here. she didnt add any 'extras'. she simply brought the image back to its original state. that's the definition of restore. and britsdad, not everyone wants the extras. they sometimes only want the original. so, bobjones has it right. you have to ask the customer. what do they need and want?

but, getting back to alison's image. again, a very nice job of restoring, but it might not 'wow!' the customer. they may have been expecting a fix of the washed out faces. customers dont always know what's possible, or worse, they may think more is possible than is. so, you have to ask. you cant assume. you may assume and be right, but you may also assume and lose the work because you didnt really provide what was wanted.
Hi Kraellin,

Sorry I posted and ran earlier in the week .... the kids went back to school on Tuesday and I was having some quiet time, then the dog got sick and I had to take him to the vets today ...... it's all go

What the customer wants would be the priority in any circumstance. Working with layers gives us the opportunity to bring the image back to the original state and then add some wow, and let them choose which one they want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 AM

This was fun!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA007-copy.jpg (98.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by klassylady25; 07-22-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 PM

beth, i looked at that thread, the 'morph' one. so, you've been a little busy

liz, welcome to RP. and that's exactly what i'm talking about. you talk to the folks, find out what THEY want and then do what you can to do that. i like it.

candice, nice job on the boys, but you killed most of the plants
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 AM

Hi Craig..... yep, I've been busy.... but that's come to a halt..... I'm mad at the whole bunch of them so I'm 'taking my toys and going home'...... at least until I cool off a little.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Wink Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
candice, nice job on the boys, but you killed most of the plants
It was my revenge for mowing this huge yard that I have! Grrr, but I'm moving into a bigger house, with a lovely smaller yard! Ahhhhh

LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I'm mad at the whole bunch of them so I'm 'taking my toys and going home'...... at least until I cool off a little.....
ok, and who are 'them'? the relatives, the folks in the 'morph' thread? i'm having trouble looking over your shoulder here

candice, hehe, ok
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration