RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Smile Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Image AA007 is from a 35mm slide made Dec 1958 in north Alabama. Unfortunately it spent several years in a Houston, Tx attic. Image AA007A is the progress made so far to restore the color.

It appears to me the red channel is badly damaged. Used the blue channel in the Apply Image filter to restore the red, 40% opacity with multiply blending mode. Then found the white and black points using a levels adjustment layer. The bush behind the boy on the right remains green all year and is about the right color. There is a large cedar tree in the background which should be a dark green. The grass is dormant and I think it is close to the right color. The boys are wearing dennim jeans. The rabbit should have more gray as should the box, the sky has a red cast and the hill in the background should have more of a green tint because it was largely covered with pine trees. However, the porch post between the two boys has about the right color (which is where the white point resides) as does the brick as I remember.

Right now I am at a loss as to how to proceed to remove the color cast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if I need to start from the beginning.

Thanks
Morris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA007.jpg (91.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg AA007A.jpg (91.9 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM

Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Morris, welcome to RTP
Try this...add a new blank layer above the image and fill with 50% grey, change the blend to "difference" and then add a "threshold" adjustment layer, move the slider at the bottom all the way to the left, then bring it back until you see the first signs of the image breaking thru', put on a colour sample mark at that point (that is the grey point) then cancel the "threshold" layer and deleate the 50% grey layer, add a curves layer and use the grey point selector to set grey point at the indicated place. This should get you somewhere near the colours you want.
Hope this helps a little....John
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 PM

My try. Ran this throu a 3rd party filter. A five second fix.

dc

Curious about John's method so gave it a try. Second picture is the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg children3.jpg (193.4 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 07-11-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Using Levels adjusted each channel. Then sampled the color cast and filled a new layer with this color. Inverted this new layer and blended. Then made some adjustments to finalize color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color-cast-correced-for-web.jpg (93.0 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 AM

Smile Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

I applied John's method to the layer where I reconstructed the red channel. I think the results are improved. Interestingly enough the white and black points are basically in the same place. I did do a bit of color replacement to the legs and removed some green artifacts. Am still thinking about the best way to remove the red and/or magenta cast from the sky. Otherwise, I am reasonably pleased with the results.

Thanks
Morris
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 AM

The reworked version failed to load on the previous post.

Morris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2.jpg (99.7 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Morris,
You could try Swampy's tute for fixing a "blown out sky" here....
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-...n-out-sky.html
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Smile Re: Problem Restoring Color to Damaged Slide

Thanks everyone for your help. The final product of our labors is posted below. I'm declaring this one finished and turning to the next challenge. Fortunately for me my mother, uncle and grandmother took a lot of photos and collected a lot. I am blessed with a pictorial history of our family to before the beginning of the 20th century.

Thanks again. I will be back for more advice.

Morris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD.jpg (90.5 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Hiya Morris,
Much better, nice job, you may want to remove the mark on the boys right cheek, who's holding the rabbit. (but then again you could go on forever )
Regards....John
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 PM

this image raises an issue that's been on my mind lately. we, as restorers, tend to want to make the very best image we can. but, there's a bit of a possible problem there. if the image wasnt a good image when it was taken, we still tend to want to make the image a good image, as if it had been taken perfectly to begin with. but, that's not really a restorer's job.

this posted image is a prime example of this. more than likely, from what i can tell, this was not a good image even when it was new. so, what do you do? do you just do the restore, taking the image back to just a mediocre shot or do you take it to the next level and make it as good as you can, even in light of the poor photography to begin with?

so, here's my take on it. the first image posted here is a basic restore. a lot of the highlights were blown out. the faces were blown out and so on. then age or whatever has turned everything red. well, the blown out areas were just poor photography, so, i mostly ignored that to start. i just wanted to see what the orignal shot looked like.

the second image is the restored image taken another step, fixing some of the blown out areas.

but, it's an interesting question. do you just restore to the original values or do you attempt to take things to that next level?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA007-1-k-1a.jpg (195.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg AA007-2-k-1a.jpg (191.8 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration