Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Terrible condition small picture

Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Re: Terrible condition small picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassylady25 View Post
There is however, no quick fix to this photo. It can be done and done well but you'll have to take time. That's what restoration is about. Time, patience, and more time.
Couldn't agree more.

This photo can definitely be restored if you put the right time into it.

The clone stamp is a great tool. However, in a photo like this, it can only help you so much before you start getting the "painted over" look.

Experiment a little with the burn tool. Give the shades where they are due and it will start looking a lot better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM

i started on the tile. this was a bit easier than jumping right into the woman and child. it cleans things up a bit and makes working on the rest a bit less kludgy. it's fairly fast and lets you think you've done something in a fairly quick amount of time.

that was all clone and 'push' (a type of smudge tool in Paint Shop Pro).

i only worked on the areas i was sure of. therefore, i didnt do the parts circled in red or blue. the red area i'm pretty sure is tile also, but i just wanted to do easy first. the blue i'm less sure of. there might be a frame or something in there and i didnt want to bother with any of that to start.

the area circled in green is just showing you where the 'push' tool is in psp xi.

and the area in yellow is my layers. notice that i first duplicated the background and then added a blank layer above that. that's where i clone and push onto by using the 'use all layers' button. so, effectively, you are clone painting and this clone painting is above your other layers so that's the part that shows over the other areas, covering those areas with your new clone painting. this has several advantages over just painting onto a duplicate layer. you can erase or reduce mistakes with the eraser tool. you can use blend modes (if needed) on that layer. you can paint over them again and so on and so forth and never hurt your original image and layers.

the push tool was used mostly to straighten the tile grout lines and to get into very small areas and along some edges. you can left click a spot with this tool and then hold down the shift key and hit another point with the tool and it will 'draw' a line from the first point to the last point using the color/texture of the first point. this is very handy for cleaning up edges.

and that's what i've done so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_74233-1-e-1a.jpg (192.8 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM

I've been gone for several days and just wanted to thank everyone for your time and effort with this picture.
Craig, the background looks great.
Dave, I haven't done any restoration using channel mixing.
I know I need to do a lot more reading and try using some kind of a work-flow.
My friend wants to put this picture in the paper for her boys 50th birthday in Sept.
I'm not so particular about the background, but I could use suggestions and help with the faces.
I agree with you ePR, the clone tool can only go so far.
Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM

you're welcome.

for faces, especially on small images, i use 'push', which is a type of smudge tool in psp. i also use clone, except for the very tiny and airbrush. all of these are done on a blank layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Craig,
Thanks for the 'push' tool suggestion.
I have never used the 'push' tool but started using it last night a little.
It does work very well. This picture is in really bad condition, but with a lot of time and patience, I think I can get it back to where we can at least do a small picture for the newspaper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 PM

the push tool is one of those tools where i prefer psp over ps. it's a very handy brush. i mostly use it between 24 and 60% opacity, depending. it's very good for getting into very small, tight places where a clone just wont work very well, like in the 1 to 6 pixel range. i also set the 'hardness' to anywhere from 60 to 80%. this lets you smooth into edges quite nicely.

i also use it sometimes with a larger brush size when i just want to blur a background or something of that nature.

i do find that it does have drawbacks, though. if you've already airbrushed paint onto a blank layer and you're using push over that airbrushed area, it tends to goof up a bit. and, below about 24% opacity, it doesnt seem to blend quite right. other than that, it's great tool.

show your progress on your pic. i'll help if i can.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration