RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Workflow & Resource Tips

Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Workflow & Resource Tips

Hi folks - first post in a looong time.

I've done some restorations but am ready to tackle some of the more difficult ones. The one I'm asking about is a scan of a photo of the original badly damaged family photo. All things considered the detail is not too bad. My questions are:

1. What workflow steps would you follow in the process. I'm guessing: repair, touch up then correct for tone, detail etc. I do have both of Katrin's books but thought I'd also ask the experts here.

2. What is my best source to find parts to fill in the missing sections of the photo? I thought I remembered a library on this site for this sort of thing but a quick search I couldn't find it. I can probably find some parts from my other files but I know I don't have many of children.

This is my first time to attach a pic so hope this goes OK.

I'll post the result for critique.

TIA,

Linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcclary_oval.jpg (99.0 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Re: Workflow & Resource Tips

Hi Linda,

I did this in about 30 seconds, so it isn't the best job that can be done

Straighten the image, make a selection with the eliptical (?) marquee tool, copy paste to a new layer. Fill background etc., A vignette would look nice as well.

A lot of the damage has disappeared and you can concentrate on the lower right hand corner, which should be reasonably easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcclary_oval-copy.jpg (87.0 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks, Alison!

Thanks for the tips and the sample. I hadn't thought about that approach. I have an old oval frame around here that I plan to use with it. I'll do some measuring to get the dimensions right.

I think the old folks should clean up nicely....have to figure out who they all are...there is a list around here somewhere.

Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 01:09 AM

linda,

normally, i start out on these by just trying to find the detail, bring it out more. this isnt a fine tune operation, just a general, 'let's see what's there' operation. my normal tools for this are mainly adjustment layers; levels, curves, and contrast/brightness. i used levels on yours and hue/sat to desaturate. the desaturation sometimes helps to remove fading and give a more start contrast. if you want the original look, this can be brought back later. i'll also use such things as 'fade correction', 'clarify', and shadows/midtones/highlights and even a histogram adjustment, though i used none of those on yours... so far.

next, i chose to correct the rip and on the lower left side. i decided it was too awkward to just clone the rip in, so i made a copy of a portion of it and rotated it 2 degrees to the left and then placed it on a separate blank layer above the rest and positioned it with the move tool. then i cloned to remove the rest of the mark. attached is a copy of the piece i moved and rotated.

and, if you can see it in my copy of the whole, notice there are windows in the background. the reduction in resolution from posting here may not show them, but i can see them on my uncompressed version. my next step was going to be to fix the background, but the windows raised a question. they hold little value to the actual family portrait, but might be of interest historically or even as color to the story of the picture. so, that would be something i'd ask the client about before proceeding. and, since it's late, i decided to leave it off here for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fam-port-piece-1-k-1.jpg (32.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg mcclary_oval-1-k-1.jpg (190.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 AM

The Tear & workflow tips

Gosh thanks for the detailed workflow outline - this is what I am looking for! I especially appreciate the discussion of the tear - I knew I probably wouldn't clone it but hadn't yet researched the best way to mend. While I've done a fair amount of simple restoration I've never had to repair a rip.

I will begin work on it tonight and will post back my results ...probably this weekend.

While this photo is of my ancestors I don't know where it was taken. I'm guessing somewhere in Missouri. I hadn't noticed the window.

I very much appreciate you taking the time, Craig.

Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM

you're welcome, linda

there's a lot yet to do on this. the lighting balance is way off, images are blurry here and there and of course the part that is missing at the bottom. i do like the suggestion of alison's to maybe use an oval frame to cover some of the bad spots. that would make things easier. but if you do, i'd try to fill the remaining missing part. i tend to shy away from using parts from other images unless there's just no other way. so, in this particular case, with alison's oval mask/frame, i'd probably try to clone in the parts that are missing that still show. it's a little tricky sometimes, but because of where the missing part is, it shld work ok.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Smile Re: Workflow & Resource Tips

This is by far the most difficult restoration I've attempted so the workflow guidance is very helpful. Although I'd like to do a complete restoration of all missing body parts I will likely take Alison's advise. After all I can always go back and take another shot, right? That is the miracle of layers - and all these folks have been sitting there patiently waiting for me for a looong time!

I'll print out the suggestions here and use them along with Katrin's book. I really want to get going on it but the day job forces me to wait until the weekend.

After I'm done I should be better able to pitch in and give back to the forum.

Linda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 PM

linda,

feel free to post your progress. i always enjoy looking at this type of image and what can be done with them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration