RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

rounded corners

Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM

rounded corners

I'm restoring a very old picture with rounded corners. How do I convert the canvas so it matches the rounded corners of the picture?
Thanks a bunch.
Mary
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Re: rounded corners

Hi,

My first post here. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, the canvas will always be rectangular. To get the corners you desire, simply cut a path using the pen tool, convert the path to a selection and drop out the background, or fill with white. To get an actual rounded edge to your final print....scissors!

Good luck.

mgl
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 PM

1. I first changed to background layer to a regular layer and put a new layer filled with white below it.
2. Next I selected the rounded rectangle set to the path tool. Before selecting the picture, select your corner radius, I used .5 for 1/2inch.
3. Now select your picture. You will see the marching ants forming your rounded corners.
4. Next you need to convert your path to a selection by pressing CTRL and ENTER.
5. Now you have to invert your selection so only the corners will be deleted. Use Shift+Ctrl+I to invert the selection and simply delete.
6. If your bottom layer is a fill color the white should show through leaving you with rounded corners. If you have your original picture as a background layer, turn it off so you can see the rounding of the corners.

I am attaching a sample using a Windows sample photo. I think that is OK.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunset1.jpg (166.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by DCobb; 08-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Patron

DC has shown you one of several ways to create rounded corners. However, when you print the image on photo paper you will still need to trim off the corners with scissors unless you are placing some kind of border around the image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM

mary, strictly speaking, this isnt a restoration question. i'll leave the thread here for now and then move it to the image help forum where you may get even more help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Alternatively, couldn't you use the shape tool, rounded rectangle, and then make a path from that ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Hi Alison,

After selecting the rounded rectangle or other shape, look up at the bar at the top under the words File, Edit, Image, Layer. Under the words Edit and Image are three boxes: Shape, Path, Fill Pixels. If you click on the shape icon it fills with the color that is active. You want the middle icon with the pen tip visible. That is the path icon and the line you have drawn is a path. When you use that you automatically get a shape that is not filled. The path would then be converted to a selection by pressing CTRL and Enter on the PC. Yes, you could convert the selection back to a path. Select the path palette and down at the bottom next to the new layer icon is a round icon with lines coming off the top. Click on that and you convert your selection back to a path.

dc

If it is not important for the corner radius to match the original picture, you can by corner punches as craft and/or scrapbooking stores. On the high end, you can buy corner cutters that have changable radius tools. However these are costly. Or as several other posters have already mentioned--scissors. Here is a link to corner rounders from the cheap to the expensive.

http://www.factory-express.com/Paper...orner+rounders

Last edited by DCobb; 08-17-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. Sounds a little beyond my experience factor. I think I'll go the untechnical route and use
scissors.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration