RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Restoration Mini-Challenge 1

Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Re: Restoration Mini-Challenge 1

lcramer,

interesting colorizing there. a bit dark overall, though. walt is blending into the background there. having him lighter and the background dark like it is would work better. also, the hand/wrist doesnt quite match the face. if the face was the color of the hand/wrist, i think it would work better. and re the hand/wrist vs. the face, look at the original. they pretty much have the same lighting and tone.

i like the coat color and the hat choices. dont care for the background much. takes attention away from walt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM

Oh Heck it started as something else altogether. I'd cleaned up the lighter blobs of damage and scratches in the background and decided to go to work on the jacket. I selected out the bottom of the picture with the intention of using a gradient to pre-darken the damage on the bottom left. I was using edit/warp to shove/ease the gradient where I wanted it (I dearly love the warp tool) when I decided that it would make a nice sort of subtle frame. At that point I forgot about the jacket and added a matching gradient to the top. I warped them both in a kind of arc shape and dragged the edges toward the middle of the picture to darken the edges and highlight his face. I twiddled with the transparency until I thought it looked right. I think I settled on soft light at about 75%. The canvas texture is nothing more than noise added in at the very end of the project. I noised up the whole photo because I thought it looked too slick and obviously Photoshopped.

Glad you liked it

MJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Oh Heck I was just folding the laundry (a real riveting task) and what's left of my mind was wandering. I've attached Walt at the point where I'd done all the background cleaning I thought I'd do and added the gradients. One of the side effects of the gradient is that it amplifies things beneath it. Part of that texture that appeared was the texture (I think) of the original paper. I went back and cleaned out the white splotches that were too glaring after I added the gradient but the rest of it I left alone. So. The background was a combination of noise and paper texture.

I think I've finally explained it properly

Last edited by Charlene5; 08-23-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Removed picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
lcramer,

interesting colorizing there. a bit dark overall, though. walt is blending into the background there. having him lighter and the background dark like it is would work better. also, the hand/wrist doesnt quite match the face. if the face was the color of the hand/wrist, i think it would work better. and re the hand/wrist vs. the face, look at the original. they pretty much have the same lighting and tone.

i like the coat color and the hat choices. dont care for the background much. takes attention away from walt.
Thanks Craig, at the time that I submitted it, I knew that it was really weird, but, could not have worked on it any longer, absolutely had to run. Anyway, I completely changed the background, made it much more subtle (color and texture). I think that Walt's face better matches his wrist now but unsure why unless I accidentally didn't totally mask out one of those areas with the previous background. When I originally did the Hue/Sat layer for the skin color, that's just how it turned out, I wondered about it but was apprehensive to start burning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minichlng1lcramer.jpg (199.3 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 PM

lcramer, much better, especially the background

charlene, i like the work but you've got quite a bit of spotting in there yet. try a little clone at a medium to low opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
lcramer, much better, especially the background

charlene, i like the work but you've got quite a bit of spotting in there yet. try a little clone at a medium to low opacity.
Which one are you looking at? The one just above here is something I posted for Oh Heck to see where the background came from. My submission is up about 6 posts. I don't see any spotting in it?

MJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 AM

charlene, well, both do, but you're right about the 2nd one. that has more. in the 1st one, it's mostly in the background and certainly less important for that, but nonetheless a bit distracting. also check his left wrist, hair and mustache. the coat looks good.

i also like how you lightened the face up and cleaned up the forehead and some of the facial blotchiness.

did you do an add noise on the coat? (not a criticism, just a question).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
charlene, well, both do, but you're right about the 2nd one. that has more. in the 1st one, it's mostly in the background and certainly less important for that, but nonetheless a bit distracting. also check his left wrist, hair and mustache. the coat looks good.

i also like how you lightened the face up and cleaned up the forehead and some of the facial blotchiness.

did you do an add noise on the coat? (not a criticism, just a question).
It's not noise it's a pattern. When I started on the picture I thought his jacket was velvet but when I zoomed in on the top left shoulder I found traces of a twill weave. The jacket was probably wool.

I tidied a couple of spots in his beard and mustache, did a little more dodging in his beard where I thought it was still too dark, and cleaned up the blotchiness in left wrist. Thank you for pointing that out, I missed it completely. As for the background I like it the way it is.

I've uploaded the revised picture at my original post.

Cheers,
MJ

Last edited by Charlene5; 08-23-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM

charlene,

yes, i think it's wool also. how did you treat the coat then?

the touch-ups look great, charlene

ok, now there's one thing i just noticed in everyone's renditions, something that's been missed in all of them. take a look at the lower left portion of the image, on his body, below his right hand and i think you'll see it. and it's not that i know what this is. it has me a bit perplexed.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 08-23-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
charlene,

yes, i think it's wool also. how did you treat the coat then?

the touch-ups look great, charlene

ok, now there's one thing i just noticed in everyone's renditions, something that's been missed in all of them. take a look at the lower left portion of the image, on his body, below his right hand and i think you'll see it. and it's not that i know what this is. it has me a bit perplexed.
I just went back and looked at the original and did a shadow/highlight so I could see the contrast better. I think it's the bottom of his coat hanging open and a bit of trouser showing. I'll have a go at it in the morning.

This is the pattern I used on the coat. I used to make stuff for the Sims 2 and I have loads of patterns stashed away. I chose this one because I wouldn't have to line up the grain with his jacket. This one is a kind of herringbone and it works on any direction as is. I did a general tidy of the jacket being careful not to lose the ridges, folds and shadows. I selected out the jacket, did a pattern fill at 100% and played with the layer. I think I settled on multiply at 75%. I didn't want it to be too obtrusive. I erased the buttons out of the pattern and voila, instant wool

MJ
Attached Images
File Type: psd Coat pattern.psd (180.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Charlene5; 08-24-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration