Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Convex, Oval Prints

Old 08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Convex, Oval Prints

Wrote about scanning one of these jobs for restoration a few months ago. Now I have one. Does anyone know of a lab that is making these prints these days. The one in hand is nearly 17 X 14 in. Image of a typical framed portrait attached to my earlier post (

Joe Townsend
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Re: Convex, Oval Prints

Joe, the link has text but no attachment. If your issue is trying to get a 17 x 14 image scanned, have you considered scanning it in 2 or 3 sections on a conventional flat bed scanner and then stitching the pieces together in PS? There are probably some photo service providers able to scan something that large but it would probably be costly. As for photographing it, that might work, however what out for lense distorion.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Re: Convex, Oval Prints

Mr. M, no the reference to the earlier message was for an image of the type of photo in question. (Sorry that the image does not appear, but the web site did not allow me to upload it again, saying it was a part of the earlier message.) I did not actually have a job in hand at that time, but I do now. I have been able to scan it in four sections and stitch them together. Next step is restoration.

I have talked to Ivey Photo here in Seattle about having such a restored image printed in covex, oval paper, or to have a flat print formed to fit the glass and shape. They don't do it. So, my new question is whether anyone knows of a lab that does this printing or shaping, in another part of the country, perhaps.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration