RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What a difference a scan makes!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Patron

What a difference a scan makes!

I've been playing around with balancing exposure in a copy of an old family photo and finally got, with a little help from my friends, an approach that worked pretty well. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...on-please.html
The intent was to work out the technique, then go back and re-scan the copy photo with my newer and better scanner. Did that. In the process I discovered that I had lied in the first post - the copy was not a contact print but a proper 3x5. Darn aging leaky memory!

The new scan was 16 bit, 600 ppi; the old one was 8 bit, 600 ppi. I'd expected the deeper image to be easier to correct, but had no idea how much easier it would be. Got a good exposure balance and contrast enhancement plus leveled out the fading and flair, all with straightforward curves and layer masks and without resorting to the fancy dual-exposure blending the 8 bit image needed. And it came out better.

Gotta be a lesson there . . .

Carole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery4001.jpg (100.0 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Re: What a difference a scan makes!

Carole I'm interested - what brand is the newer and better scanner? I'm pondering the purchase of a new one for 16 bit capabilities.

MJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Patron

MJ -

Mine is an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo. Not the fanciest in the world, but reasonably priced for the capabilities. Does 16 bit scans and the resolution and dynamic range are good enough for scanning slides (flat bed style).

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM

I just bought a factory refurbished Epson 4490 Photo scanner and I love it!! It's AMAZING how much difference a good scanner makes.

I don't think I could have done better for the price. It was $98.10 (including shipping and a one year warranty)

I did a lot of reading in the forums and several folks gave it good reviews. If anyone else is interested, here is a link to the page to order from Epson.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...ref=r0302DRFYD
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM

I think my only problem will be if that I order a new scanner I'll be tempted to rescan/redo everything I've already done.

What is this "if I order a new scanner" coyness? We all know I'm going to do it. I'm just pretending to give it serious thought Thanks for the recommendation!

MJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Patron

MJ, if you'll promise to keep telling me not to rescan stuff that's already done I'll promise to do the same for you. The temptation is horrible . . .

<C>
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration