Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Hi, I'm new :)

View Poll Results: This took me a long time, I know it needs some work but what do you think?
Not bad? 0 0%
Take up farming! 0 0%
I will give you a job! 0 0%
It's ok 0 0%
It's quite good 2 66.67%
It's very good! 1 33.33%
I like your work and would like to see more 0 0%
It's bad 0 0%
It stinks 0 0%
Your rubbish go home! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Talking Hi, I'm new :)

Hi my name is Mass and I restored this photo of my Dads family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image4.jpg (74.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 030807.jpg (57.3 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Re: Hi, I'm new :)

Hi Mass,

I think you did a nice job, but you forgot to restore a small part on the boy in the middle. (below)

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM

You did a good job repairing the folds and tears, but don't forget that part of a restoration is setting the levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030807a.jpg (56.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Looks great. The hair on the boy on the right looks like black was just painted on the left side. No hair strands or highlites - maybe a little work there would help. The mom's hair, in the middle of her head is kind of the same way.

In looking at the corner, where they flowered wall paper meets the dark wallpaper....did the dark one have a stripe down it on the orginal? Something looks a little strange to me on the dark side of that corner on the retouch.

Looks like you've put a lot of work into this. Looking good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 08:53 PM

you did a good job of cloning. the boy's hair on the right is fine. if you look at the original, that's how it is in the original. and level adjustments are not totally necessary in an image like this, depending on your type of restore.

the only thing i see that you missed, and it's minor, is the objects on the shelf on the top left. you removed one item and changed another. now, i'm not totally sure about the removal of the one. in the original this looks like a cloth, but it could be a mar of some type. and the object behind that is actually a box. you removed the top left corner of that and made the whole look like a stack of books. but, it's background stuff and fairly minor. if it was an historical photo for a formal archive, i'd say do it over, but for a friend or family member or even a paying customer, it's hardly noticeable.

so, overall, good job on the fixes. i like that you filled in the missing vase part. you didnt do too much to harm and mostly did help and it does look pretty close to what the original would look like today had it been preserved better.

and this may be where the levels thing comes in. some folks restore to what they believe the original would have looked like. so, in that case, a levels adjustment, fade adjustments and that sort of thing are perfectly fine. others restore to what the image would look like today if it hadnt been damaged in some manner, and that doesnt really require those types of adjustments. you see this in particularly older images where someone wishes to maintain that aged look. so, it kind of boils down to a client wish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 PM

Hi Mass,

That's not a bad restore, a couple of errors but nothing too serious. I'm a bit obsessive about getting things into an upright position I doubt very much that the picture was taken in a house that leaned that much to the right (or left)...... I have straightened my take on it and just adjusted the contrast a little, and I gave the little guy some eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030807-copy.jpg (78.0 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration