Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Need help with dark image

Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Re: Need help with dark image

Thanks Murray and Craig for the nice comments. I don't always take the easiest way out but I really like working with Black & White. I tried to restore the original color but just got a bunch of trash. Maybe working on the original high-resolution image would have given better results.

trtldove76 – Here’s the details if you want to try it on the high-resolution image. It takes longer to read this than to actually do.

I started with two passes through NeatImage noise filter reducing 1/2 the noise at each pass. On the results of the second pass I did a Local Contrast Enhancement using the Unsharp Mask tool with settings of Amount=20, Radius= 80 and Threshold=0. Duplicate this layer and use High-Pass filter to boost global contrast.

Because of the amount of trash in the background I masked off the upper half (without the bears), copied to a new layer and did a Level Adjustment moving the white output slider (lower right) to the left.

The actual conversion to B&W was done using the Russell Brown method that mimics color filters and B&W film. Create two Hue/Saturation Adjustment layers above the image layer. For the lower of the two (color filter layer), change blending mode to color. On the other (film layer) move the saturation slider all the way to the left. Now, double click the lower of the two Hue/Saturation layers and move the Hue slider to find the best B&W rendering. I used Hue= -124 but your taste might be different.

I finished the image with a Curve Adjustment layer on top to tweak to taste.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Thank you very much. I worked on them a bunch last night and to be honest I am not very good at bringing detail back from darkness when it is also so grainy. And to be completely honest the original is just as bad. hmmmm

So thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM

Great solutions guys. I admit, I hadn't thought of doing that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration