RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Require Advice on This Aged Photo

Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Smile Require Advice on This Aged Photo

Hi all ... I have just joined up here and firstly... What a great site, I have just spent hours reading through the forums, so much information here, well done to everyone who has contributed.
I would love some advice on trying to restore this photo to its original state. I use photoshop cs3 and I am just a bit stumped as to where to start with this.
Could anyone tell me if there is a tutorial to repair photos that are in this state. I have done editing on many photos before, but none as bad as this particular one.
I don't suppose there is any easy way of repairing this? ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture001 [800x600].jpg (85.6 KB, 211 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Patron

Re: Require Advice on This Aged Photo

Hi Shelie and welcome to RetouchPRO! To start with, I would duplicate the background layer. Then Image>Apply Image and apply the Red channel form the background layer in Normal mode. This will give you a gray channel on top of you image. Next change the Blend Mode of that layer from Normal to Luminosity. You will now have a version of your orig image in which the dark yellow stains will be lighted. Next add a Black & White adj layer on top of the image. Drag the yellow slider a little to the right to further lighten the stained areas but not too much as the neyrtal areas will start to blow out.
Whennyou are done add a ne wlayer on top of the stack and fill it with 50% gray and change its blend mode to Overlay. This will be your Dodge & Burn layer. Using soft black and white brushes at low opacity (~10%) brush over the light and dark area to darken or lighten them. For example brushing over the suits with a black brush gets rid of all the splotchy patches.
The rest of the restoration will need to be old fashioned cloning and patching.
Finally levels adjust the whole image to get the contrast correct.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shelie MM.jpg (72.6 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Hi Murray
Thank you for your advice, I will give this a go and will repost with my progress.

Regards
Michelle
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Welcome Shelie.

I tried to keep it simple to get you started. What I did here was make a duplicate of your image(for backup purposes), and desaturate that image. Then go to your image adjustments curves tool. Tweak your shadows, mids and highlights here. Applied changes, then did another curve adjustment to fine tune it a little more. After that I applied a noise reduction filter. Just from these applied changes you can see the difference it makes with contrast and noise. From here you would go through and do what clone stamping, dodge burning you may require to complete the image.

If you want me to go further into detail on the curve numbers used please feel free to ask away.

Edit: Added a slight update, with some damage fixes. Time for work though, so I'll continue this tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, got a little more done with it today. More damage removal as well as some work on the wall behind them....seems like it is fabric draw taught on a panel or wall and allowed to fall loosely at the bottom...atleast that's what i'm seeing in the original..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groupshot.jpg (98.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg groupshot_002.jpg (95.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg groupshot_003.jpg (98.6 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Oh_Heck; 09-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 PM

Hi Oh_Heck
If you wouldn't mind, could you please let me know what curve numbers you used and what were the damage fixes? The photo is looking good. I am currently working on this one now, but have not yet achieved what you have. Thanks for your help on this.
Regards
Michelle
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM

I've been very wicked today. I hijacked your picture and spent the day trying to bring it back.

The first thing I did was get rid of the majority of the yellow/brown stains. I duplicated the original, went to Selective Color and chose yellow. I slid the yellow slider all the way to the left and most of the stains faded away. Then I did a levels adjustment and desaturated (made it grayscale) and sat and looked at it for a bit. I try to work out in my head what needs doing and where to start. I worked one figure at a time, starting on the left end on the gentleman with the amazing ears. I did a lot of cloning and hue/saturation adjustments of little areas to darken the white-ish bits and lighten the pure black. Take your time. Work in a separate layer, not on your original. I keep a copy of the levels-corrected original at the top of the layers (turned off) so I can have a look when I can't figure out what I'm looking at. I had a terrible time with the the arms of the men - figuring out what belonged where because the were all runched in together and touching. The top part of the curtain is new - I added it in - and I took liberties with the brides flowers. I couldn't pull them out of the damage so I plopped some new ones on top of them and tried to blend them in.

The only way to learn this is to do it. Make mistakes, start over, get frustrated, and ask a lot of questions. I started about two months ago and I've learned so much from the lovely people in this forum. I'm still struggling with curves and blend modes and all that, but I'm surprised at how much has become second nature. It's a lot of fun and immensely satisfying to bring back something that was a real mess. Keep posting and ask questions! Nice to have you with us.

MJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding.jpg (177.9 KB, 130 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Patron

Wonderful job MJ!!!
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Charlene5,

You started 2 months ago? Hard to believe. You have much more talent than I'll ever have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 AM

Hi MJ
Thanks alot for your advice, it is much appreciated, I will keep on plugging away with this photo, I have spent most of today, going through this forum and trying different things. As I get some progress done on this photo I will repost it here to see what you's think. Again thanks alot.

Regards
Michelle :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM

MisterMonday and albatross, thank you for your kind words. I started with a grocery bag of old photos in desperate condition a couple of months ago and I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the process and discovered an unexpected talent in the bargain. At my age (57) it was a very pleasant surprise

I got up this morning and had a look at my work and decided the background was too dark, the figures flat, and there was still blotchy skin and some haloing where there curtain was added. There was also (eek!) a big fat seam line in the curtain. I should have just set it aside last night to look at with fresh eyes later but I can't seem to do that

I duplicated the "finished" copy and and did a hue/saturation layer to push the lightness up about 20 points. Added a hide all layer and started painting back the curtain. I was dismayed to see my carefully constructed shadows disappearing when the smarter part of my brain suggested using a variety of brushes with a different hardness. I'm sure most everyone already knows that trick but I felt like I'd discovered something revolutionary. Finished that and ran byRo's degrunge to clean up the blotchy skin tones. Fixed the curtain join and did some more dodge and burn to add some depth to the flat figures. At the end I added a sort of vignette thing with a color overlay and inner glow to focus more attention on the wedding party. I also accidentally cropped some off the top when I did a sloppy marquee early on. Smashing it down to a 200k JPEG makes it look kind of muddy but it really isn't.

Here is the "improved" versioin and I think it's finally finished. Shelie what year was this wedding? I decided it was sometime between 1962 and 1966 based on the skinny ties, tapered trousers, skinny lapels, bouffant hair and empire dresses.

Cheers,
MJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding-A.jpg (192.8 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration