RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Sepia or B&W

Old 09-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Sepia or B&W

Many old photos turn brown with age (see attached) and I notice on some of the help you guys offer, your repaired examples have been changed to B&W. So how does one determine whether the original was sepia or just aged. Furthermore, if a sepia print is required at the end of the process would you convert to B&W first, then repair and then tone back to sepia at the end?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boy in Hat Rest.jpg (97.8 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Patron

Re: Sepia or B&W

Quote:
So how does one determine whether the original was sepia or just aged.
Good question, worth some historical research. I've always just assumed that the original was most likely to be black and white, but could be very wrong.
Quote:
Furthermore, if a sepia print is required at the end of the process would you convert to B&W first, then repair and then tone back to sepia at the end?
Yes. And to get a proper sepia tone, see http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=8

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 03:28 PM

I know this is not the answer you are looking, but...

I would not limit "finishing touch" to B&W or sepia. Try different color tones and see what fits the best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Thankyou.
BTW, this is an excellent and most instructive site. Now that I'm starting to get a few techniques under my belt I'll help where I can.
Ben
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Patron

Depending on when the photo was taken, B&W may have been the state of the original. Most of these Sepia looking prints started out as black & white and were toned with a chemical process after developing.
Whether you restore with the color or b&w version often depends on the condition. Some stains & damage are easier to clean up if the image is converted to B&W and then given a sepia or monotone or duotone afterward. Some folks prefer the end result in B&W, while others like the warmer tone.

A good place to start is to adjust the contrast with a Levels or Curve adjustment at the begining to see what you have to work with.
In the sample below:
1. A level adjustment performed on each of the channels separately to pull out as much detail as is left in the image. The result is closer to black & white but not as yellow. Perhaps this may be closer to the original without the effects of more yeloowing with age.
2. This levels adjusted layer placed above the orig background layer with the blend mode set to luminosity. This gives you the original color but with increased contrast.
3. The level adjusted image converted to B&W using the new B&W Adjustment layer in PS CS3.

You can select whichever image makes it easier from here to clone and heal and patch it up.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Levels Only.jpg (154.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Levels+Luminosity.jpg (161.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Levels+Black-White.jpg (94.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHardy View Post
Many old photos turn brown with age (see attached) and I notice on some of the help you guys offer, your repaired examples have been changed to B&W. So how does one determine whether the original was sepia or just aged. Furthermore, if a sepia print is required at the end of the process would you convert to B&W first, then repair and then tone back to sepia at the end?

I have some from that time period and they are clearly sepia. If that helps. I reiterate--mine are clearly sepia.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Thanks Murray
I didn't realise that you could perform a Levels adj. on each separate channel.
I assume you did a manual levels adj. since I just tried autolevels on each channel and ended up with a far darker result
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Maureeno
How do you know?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM

As Murray indicated, many photos originally printed in sepia, as well as B&W. These weren't the only dual tone choices however. another fairly common one was to add a blue tint, especially if you wanted to make the photo look colder. Getting the photo electronically such as via the site here makes it hard to determine if the original image was sepia, or has just yellowed with age. Still, of ten the best way to clean up a photo is to take it back to B&W, and then colorize it as desired. The method Murray describes is a good one. another one that I often find helpful is the channel mixer set to monochrome. It will allow you to mix the better channels and reduce a damaged channel. Checking the monochrome box leave the result as B&W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Patron

Ben, yes the Level adj was manual. Select each channel from the pull down menu in the Levels dialog box, and compress the histogram. In the case of this image, the image data was all clustered at one end of the curve in each channel. Auto can accomplish the same thing for you if you select the correct option. In the levels dialog box you can click on the options buttons and find 3 Auto options, one of which is to adjust the levels of each channel separately. However, that is not always perfect so I prefer to do it manually as it only takes a few seconds and I can preview exactly how it will look.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration