Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old photo, need restoration.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Re: Old photo, need restoration.

and ill try to follow her.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 AM

Wow Flora that restoration is incredible it looks so polished. I cant even tell anyone was ever wrong with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Hello- I'm the new guy here. I'm working on it and hope to have it back to you in a few more days. Regards-Raydream
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Arrow Re: Old photo, need restoration.

Hello- Here's a couple of results I came up with. Hope they're useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOY4-op.jpg (94.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg HOY-B&W-Oval-op.jpg (97.2 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydream View Post
Hello- Here's a couple of results I came up with. Hope they're useful.
wow thats a great work .... thanks allot , i will try to follow your steps too
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Wow! Look and listen to Flora. I just joined this site today and I'm sure I'll be following what she has to suggest. Just look at the pic she restored of the little girl.......Jerry Morgan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Arrow Re: Old photo, need restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode11979 View Post
wow thats a great work .... thanks allot , i will try to follow your steps too
There were MANY clicks involved but it was all pretty basic, meaning a lot of rubber stamping (98%) with no use of layers or filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 AM

Adobitech, 0781888,

thanks for your kindness!

raydream,

welcome to RetouchPRO!...

Nice stitching the parts together.

A couple of tips...

1) Photopaper texture ... you can leave it as is.. but, if you decide to remove it, it should be on the whole picture. Blurring some areas only while leaving the texture on others, makes it look like a 'pasted' job. (The best method for removing the texture is the FFT Filter ... Tutorial on 'how to' and link to download the filter here.)

2) Some of the scratches/folds are still visible.

3) If a Vignette at all, it should be faded at the edges (along the oval) ... the hard transition line is a bit of an eyesore.

4) In photo restoration (as opposed to retouching) you cannot add things that weren't there to start with ..(I'm not talking about reconstructing missing parts) ... If the borders of the image are torn or missing, rather crop than not add a solid vignette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydream
with no use of layers or filters
... It's ok if you'd rather not use any filter ... but using layers is a vital part of image manipulation. If you work directly on the image the only way to correct something done previously, is to start from scratch ... always provided you haven't worked on the original!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 03:31 PM

Wink Re: Old photo, need restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Adobitech, 0781888,

thanks for your kindness!

raydream,

welcome to RetouchPRO!...

Nice stitching the parts together.

A couple of tips...

1) Photopaper texture ... you can leave it as is.. but, if you decide to remove it, it should be on the whole picture. Blurring some areas only while leaving the texture on others, makes it look like a 'pasted' job. (The best method for removing the texture is the FFT Filter ... Tutorial on 'how to' and link to download the filter here.)

2) Some of the scratches/folds are still visible.

3) If a Vignette at all, it should be faded at the edges (along the oval) ... the hard transition line is a bit of an eyesore.

4) In photo restoration (as opposed to retouching) you cannot add things that weren't there to start with ..(I'm not talking about reconstructing missing parts) ... If the borders of the image are torn or missing, rather crop than not add a solid vignette.

... It's ok if you'd rather not use any filter ... but using layers is a vital part of image manipulation. If you work directly on the image the only way to correct something done previously, is to start from scratch ... always provided you haven't worked on the original!!
Flora- Thanks for the welcome! This truly seems like a valuable site. I guess I intended to leave some of the scratches and folds because of my predilection from my work with video game objects (race cars, fighter planes and such) that often require a somewhat dirty or usage worn appearance to lend authenticity to the "look"- in this case trying to preserve the appeal of an antique photo. As well the Vignette was only intended as a "cover" mask, presented as a possible suggestion for further exploration. Thanks so much for the useful link to the FFT filter. I can tell already that this is going to be one of my most frequented sites. Thanks again for your tips and advice.
Regards-Rob
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode11979 View Post
Hello guys,first of all let me introduce my self, im a regular 30 year old guy, looking into learn some restorations technics in adobe photoshop, my father in law found this picture and ask me if i could fix it for him , since i did several photo jobs for him but never a restoration job, most of the stuff i do is i cut backgrounds and place some other background ,regular noob stuff i guess, but restoring old pictures got me all interested.
Anyway i dont know where to start, i found a couple of tutorials here
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho..._Photoshop.htm but most of them are for paintshop pro.
So i will try to learn how to restore pictures in adobe, i promise i will not be a hit and runner , if you want to help me fix this picture mi and my father in law will apreciate your work. Thanks allot.

heres the picture
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/ode1979/HOY2.jpg
I belong to a graphic design forum and we would like to use your photo for a restoration contest. Please let me know if we have permission. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration