RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old photo, need restoration.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Old photo, need restoration.

Hello guys,first of all let me introduce my self, im a regular 30 year old guy, looking into learn some restorations technics in adobe photoshop, my father in law found this picture and ask me if i could fix it for him , since i did several photo jobs for him but never a restoration job, most of the stuff i do is i cut backgrounds and place some other background ,regular noob stuff i guess, but restoring old pictures got me all interested.
Anyway i dont know where to start, i found a couple of tutorials here
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho..._Photoshop.htm but most of them are for paintshop pro.
So i will try to learn how to restore pictures in adobe, i promise i will not be a hit and runner , if you want to help me fix this picture mi and my father in law will apreciate your work. Thanks allot.

heres the picture
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/ode1979/HOY2.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Patron

Re: Old photo, need restoration.

One approach might be tp use the Extract filter or a path to select the girl and remove her from the background and place her on another. Next you could use a FFT filter to remove the texture or just treat the image as if it were on canvas and use the Filter > Texturizer > Canvas to add a texture to your background. You will need to use the clone tool mostly to clean up the cracks and blemishes. Finally you can paint back in some color or go to B&W.
With some time you should be able to get a very good restoration.
Regards
Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoy RevMM.jpg (178.9 KB, 217 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 AM

This was a quick try. Much more could be done to refine some of the textures in the picture. I did run an FFT on this.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smchild.jpg (177.1 KB, 332 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Hey dc, I think that you have the right approach. You have kept the parts of the photo that has the important information. From there I think that I would continue to repair the important parts, and maybe soften or remove the parts of the background that don't add anything, particularly the area above the head, and maybe fade the shadow into the background by the feet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Smile Re: Old photo, need restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
One approach might be tp use the Extract filter or a path to select the girl and remove her from the background and place her on another. Next you could use a FFT filter to remove the texture or just treat the image as if it were on canvas and use the Filter > Texturizer > Canvas to add a texture to your background. You will need to use the clone tool mostly to clean up the cracks and blemishes. Finally you can paint back in some color or go to B&W.
With some time you should be able to get a very good restoration.
Regards
Murray
Thanks allot for the idea, my computer got broken im some accident i had at home so now i got to come to this cafe internet to work on the picture,so it will take time for me to do something nice to the picture, im still not familiar with the names of the tool and filters but in a couple of days im pretty sure i will, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobb View Post
This was a quick try. Much more could be done to refine some of the textures in the picture. I did run an FFT on this.

dc
Awsome job , i hope ill learn that, i like the fact that the picture its a whole picture now, nice work.

A little update on the picture info its that this is some girls mom when she was a kid , her mom died but tha lady has a baby girl that looks allot like her mom, since this is the only picture she has of her mom when she was a kid, she would like the picture fixed, im pretty sure she'll be happy once i or we get the wrok done, thanks allot guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Man this tutorials are hard, i tried 2 methods to remove the cracks and they didnt work for me, could it be that im using photoshop 8.0, dekrack didnt work for me, and the method to get the 3 pieces toghether didnt work either, could it be because of the version of photoshop im using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Hi...

ode11979,

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

I had a go at your picture trying to save the original background...

I started by removing the photographic paper texture following this Tutorial (if you haven't it yet, you will find the link for downloading the FFT filter at the bottom of the Tutorial page...)

Let me know if you'd like a more detailed description of what I did..

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ode11979
could it be that im using photoshop 8.0, dekrack didnt work for me
I didn't use the decrack action you mention (originally written for PS 6 or 7), but I'll try to see if it works with more recent versions of Photoshop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_HOY2.jpg (197.9 KB, 346 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi...

ode11979,

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

I started by removing the photographic paper texture following this Tutorial (if you haven't it yet, you will find the link for downloading the FFT filter at the bottom of the Tutorial page...)

Thanks for the tutorial! I had a bit of a problem at first until I found out that the filter doesn't like image sizes over a certain limit. It froze up my machine twice until I researched the filter and found out about the size issue.
And yes, I would like a more detailed description. Great restoration!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 PM

moved this over to the restoration forum.

welcome to RP, ode11979.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi...

ode11979,

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!

P.S.
I didn't use the decrack action you mention (originally written for PS 6 or 7), but I'll try to see if it works with more recent versions of Photoshop...
Wow , thats an awsome job you did with the picture, im still dealling with some problems with my computer, i guess i will have to buy another one, and as soon as i get the chance i will post my work, like i said before, i will not be a hit an runner, cus i really want to learn this job. From the bottem of my heart , thanks, and i will try to follow the tutorial to see if i can do the same job, thanks allot again. Heres a start of what i got so far , i run the fft filter, and this are the results.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...79/example.jpg

Last edited by ode11979; 10-02-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: update the info
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration