RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old photo

Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Old photo

Hi, I got the chance to work on a few older photos, that belong to an older woman, and she tells me that this is a photo of either her mother, or her father, she is not sure. As you can see it is torn I repaired the face and head, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the stained and faded parts. I am looking for any ideas. This is (just guessing) 11 x 14 inch photo. I took a picture of it with my camera. That will work, wont it? Thank you for any ideas you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1720.JPG (85.1 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Re: Old photo

I mainly would like some ideas with the clothing, and the lower corners. I am using photoshop CS2.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM

I gave this a try. Your best retouching and restoration work begins with the best quality scan that you can get. To fill in the corners I used the healing brush set to replace and then set it back to normal and blended in the background the best I could. Did a levels adjustment as well as brightness and contrast. As far as the clothes go I could not see much in the way of detail. You could go online and try and find another subject dressed with similar clothing or you could just blur the area as the face is relatively sharp. The image could be converted to B/W and retoned with a sepia color or you could try to colorize the image. You could consider changing the background. Many more refinements could be done that would enhance this image.
This was done with CS3 but I did not use anything in CS3 that is not in CS2--I have both. My disclaimer is, I am not a professional retoucher or restorationist, but these are my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg younginfant_web.jpg (165.2 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Hi, looks good! Where would be a good place to look for clothing like this. If I can find clothes to replace these, I think I will replace the background. You did a good job as usual. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 PM

To answer your question, yes you can take a photo of a photo but you need to be directly over it looking down or have the pic propped up. Your photo is out of perspective the way you have taken it giving the child a wider area at the bottom than the top.
I corrected the perspective and cleaned it up a touch, smoothing the background and bringing out more detail around the face. There is not much left of the clothing unfortunately. You would have to source some old period photos to get an idea of it. Even if you just use a bit of dodge and burn to hint at the clothes would be ok. The important thing here is the face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (60.7 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Yes Tassie, I see what you mean. I guess I need to look for that time period of clothing, Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM

I did a very quick and rough job of putting the head on new clothing. Because the picture of the dress was sharp, I put a slight blur on it. The article of clothing shown is an antique christening dress. Whether or not it actually matches the time period of the child, I don't know. You might try Google images for antique baby clothing. Remember that when putting pictures together the resolution must be the same--I think.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bab_pic.jpg (60.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM

I think that is a better way. I will try Goggle and see what I can come up with. Thanks again. Allen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Patron

This photo is not complete, but I only used 3 steps.

I selected the right half of the torn photo not including the tear and copied that to a new layer. I then moved the right half to the left to "repair" the tear.

I used the healing brush on the the remaining part of the tear.

I used levels to increase contrast

I used Neat Image to remove grain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retouch.jpg (94.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 PM

I like how you did that. That made an easy fix out of that tear. Thank you Phil. Allen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration