RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Photo restoration replace clothes pls help

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM

Smile Photo restoration replace clothes pls help

Hello All,

I hope someone would be able to help me i've seen what you guys can do in the restoration challenges with torn photos i am restoring an old photo but the gent jacket is very discoloured and torn beyond repair i wonder if there is a way of replacing the jacket altogether instead of using heavily with the clone tool.

any reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

regards

sergio

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart

Last edited by sergio2263; 10-18-2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: To post in the appropriate place
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 AM

Photo restoration replace clothes pls help

Hello All,

I hope someone would be able to help me i've seen what you guys can do in the restoration challenges with torn photos i am restoring an old photo but the gent jacket is very discoloured and torn beyond repair i wonder if there is a way of replacing the jacket altogether instead of using heavily with the clone tool.

many thanks in advance

regards

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM

Re: Photo restoration replace clothes pls help

Can you post what you got so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
Hello All,

many thanks in advance

regards

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 AM

Hi Sergio,

Can you point us to the image please
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Smile Re: Photo restoration replace clothes pls help

Hi Frank and Alison

Many thanks for your replies much appreciated. I will try and post the photo I have already started on the photo as you would see but not happy with the results i would prefer instea of cutting the jacket is to fix the whole thing or replace it.

Any tips of what i can do would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Regards

Sergio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEBHSMALL.jpg (96.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DEBHRESTORED.jpg (57.7 KB, 160 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 12:13 PM

The jacket in the original image looks to me to be an in-camera vignette effect by the photographer. I think it is part of the charm of the photo. Also, the jacket is part of the fashion of the times. I would not try to change it out.

I think your restoration is too contrasty. You have lost detail in the jacket and shadows. Back it off a bit. Nice job on the cloning work.

If I were restoring this I would make a sepia version also

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM

replacing the suit is a bit of a problem. it can be done if you find the right match, but that could take longer than the cloning you're trying to avoid. and, no matter what you replace it with, it just wont be the original and i tend to try to stay with the originals as much as possible.

my suggestion would be to do your work as you have been and just clone it down as far as is reasonable (you'll have to decide how much that is) and then just treat the rest as an unfinished image, much the same that you see oil paintings sometimes where it looks unfinished but was done so intentionally.

the third option that comes to mind would be to do a little grafting. you make selections of appropriate areas of the good parts of the suit and paste them into the damaged areas. this can also be quite tricky and requires that you have some idea of how the full suit looks and that you can find the appropriate parts from the rest of the image. you rebuild the areas and it doesnt have to be exact during the cut and paste. you follow up with some cloning and airbrushing to make it look more correct, if need be.

but, in this particular case, where there isnt even a decent edge left in the bottom third of the image, i'd prefer to treat it as the unfinished oil. the exception to that being if you can find one channel that does have more data in it, then simply work with that channel and do a normal restore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM

Hi ktg222 and kraellin,

Thank you both very much for the advice and tips I will follow both examples and see how it goes the photo is far from finish i shall keep working on it until i am satisfied.

Thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Hi,

sergio2263,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktg222 View Post
....looks to me to be an in-camera vignette effect by the photographer. I think it is part of the charm of the photo. Also, the jacket is part of the fashion of the times. I would not try to change it out.

I think your restoration is too contrasty. You have lost detail in the jacket and shadows. Back it off a bit. Nice job on the cloning work.
Agree in all points... and, IMO, when restoring old images, replacement of parts of it should be done only when there is no alternative.

If cloning or healing/patching (from Photoshop CS) result too tedious, Craig gave you a great tip: grafting...

Another way could be cropping or, like I did, increasing the size of the vignette so it looks more 'done on purpose' instead of giving the impression of being faded.

P.S. I also straightened the picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_DEBHSMALL.jpg (188.3 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi,

sergio2263,

Agree in all points... and, IMO, when restoring old images, replacement of parts of it should be done only when there is no alternative.

If cloning or healing/patching (from Photoshop CS) result too tedious, Craig gave you a great tip: grafting...

Another way could be cropping or, like I did, increasing the size of the vignette so it looks more 'done on purpose' instead of giving the impression of being faded.

P.S. I also straightened the picture...
Hi Flora

Thank you very much for your thread and for taking time in working on the photo much appreciated your version certainly is better than my version i am still getting use to using photoshop i have photoshop cs2 i wonder perhaps if it is too powerful for me but i sooner dive in and practice with it instead of using other editing sofware, grafting is very new to me first time i've heard of it shall googling for tutorial about grafting i have very much to learn good job i am practicing on friends and family photos.

thanks again

regards

sergio

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration