Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Katrin Eismanns book 'Restoration & Retouching'

Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Re: Katrin Eismanns book 'Restoration & Retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHardy View Post
Personally, I 'd have to agree with sergio2263. I find the book: 'Photoshop Masking and Compositing' to be rather flawed. I find her step by step instructions either miss out vital operations or simply do not work as stated. Some of her operations for masking seem pretty pointless. She takes you through a bunch of operations to increase contrast between the object and the background and then you find that you have to carefully paint around objects anyway. Not impressed.

Hi BenHardy,

I am glad someone agrees with me regarding Katrin Eismann's book, her book the third edition Restoration and Retouching which i've paid £35.99 on page 26 there is a very badly torn and damaged photo of a house which she shows the before and after but there are no tutorial at all to show how she's achieve the results of restoring this badly damaged photo all she went on about on two pages about computer,tables,chairs,CPU, Bus Speed, Ram etc etc, it's unbelievable also i came across 3 tutorials which i found on the net written by other people which she has in the book again no finish everything just stop in mid sentences. I feel cheated and cannot believe how people says about her books being the best to learn about photoshop.

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Well my post referred to her book: 'Masking and Compositing' which, although not incomplete, seems a little shoddy.
Many of her instructions assume prior knowledge of Photoshop procedures and seem to expect that, if she misses out a step then readers will just know what she means them to do, even if she doesn't bother to mention it..
I for one expect full and detailed instructions and as a tutor I'm aware that one must, when outlining procedures, assume that the reader is a complete numbskull and should not be expected to guess.
As such, I find it odd that her books are so highly recommended.
It's not all bad of course but just a shame that some of the procedures were not checked properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: Katrin Eismanns book 'Restoration & Retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHardy View Post
Well my post referred to her book: 'Masking and Compositing' which, although not incomplete, seems a little shoddy.
Many of her instructions assume prior knowledge of Photoshop procedures and seem to expect that, if she misses out a step then readers will just know what she means them to do, even if she doesn't bother to mention it..
I for one expect full and detailed instructions and as a tutor I'm aware that one must, when outlining procedures, assume that the reader is a complete numbskull and should not be expected to guess.
As such, I find it odd that her books are so highly recommended.
It's not all bad of course but just a shame that some of the procedures were not checked properly.
Hi Ben

And my post referred to the Restoration and Retouching Third Edition suppose to be the must have book. I am a complete newbie to photoshop first ever layed my hands on photoshop 5 months ago Katrin does explain all the tools how they work etc but when it come to the tutorials about restoring it is nil point very confusing she never finish explaining on how to completely restore a photo. I was so looking forward to the book thinking it would make a pro out of me no chance i am still learning bits and pieces from this forum or the net. I am very grateful and thanks very much to all Pros in this forum and the net to give so much help and advice for free.

regards

sergio

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 AM

I dislike going against the grain but I love the book. I do agree some things are a little difficult to grasp and some examples did not seem to work too well for me. But she is a lot smarter than me so I guess I did not understand her instructions.
In her introduction to the book on page three, she makes it pretty clear the book in not for a novice to Photoshop.
The one thing I have learnt is that I have to be really patient and not expect instant results. I am working my way through the book little by little. I do not turn the page until I have fully understood the page I just read. It works well for me. I bought the book six months ago and am already up to page 48
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 AM

If you have difficulty with KE books, Ctein's book isn't laid out as well. Both excellent, just a matter of how far you are in your learning curve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 AM

I agree with Manorts, Katrin's R&R book is very good, It has the presumption that the reader has an understanding of PS and progresses from there. As you progress you realise that Katrin does not repeat all the processes in detail but concentrates on what is special in the examples. There are also examples of other's work which look to be illustrations of what can be achieved with the techniques being shown.
I refer to the book all the time and see it as a valuable aid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 12:02 PM

I have never read one of her books, but I do have her DVD on restoration. So, obviously, there isn't the problem of her not finishing any steps, because she has to finish during a "live" tutorial. It's pricey; I think it was $160.00. I really have learned a lot from it. The only complaint I would have, I guess, is that the example photos are not in really bad shape. In other words, I would like to see her fix a reallllllly awful picture, like the ones I get sometimes.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 AM

You should see some of the dooseys we get through Operation Photo Rescue... They are realllllly awful as you say.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 AM

I like the book in general (I have Restoration and Retouching), but I agree that she does take the long way round sometimes. For example (I've only just started the book and am about a quarter of the way through), she shows how to bring out detail from dark areas of a photo by selecting the luminosity, but I found I can do the job just as well and a lot more quickly with a simple S curve in the curves menu. But maybe for some photos, her way would work better than an S curve?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 AM

I am looking at purchasing either Ctein or Katrins books, can anyone point me in the direction of one or the other?
I have basic to medium PS skills and advanced computer skills.. so I should be able to muddle through quite a bit, but would still like some handholding
At the moment I am working on my own family photographs (some of those dreadful yellow 70's shots etc) but I want to learn the right processes as I would love to take this further in the future! From whats been said so far I am leaning to Katrin....
any advice much appreciated... thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration