RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Is there any help for this photo?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Re: Is there any help for this photo?

I worked on this off and on for a couple of days because I love these old ancestor photos. A few levels layers, cloning, some dodge and burn and noise removal. I tried to rebuild the left eye but don't think I got it quite right. I kept it kind of soft because anymore sharpening made it look too harsh and grainy. It could probably use some more contrast.
Nan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrGrGrandpa.jpg (89.7 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I worked on this off and on for a couple of days because I love these old ancestor photos. A few levels layers, cloning, some dodge and burn and noise removal. I tried to rebuild the left eye but don't think I got it quite right. I kept it kind of soft because anymore sharpening made it look too harsh and grainy. It could probably use some more contrast.
Nan
Thanks Nan! It looks great. I tried all those things as well as the healing brush with results not as good as you guys. I guess I have to practice some more, and get new
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 12:35 PM

I think you've done a good job and brought out a lot of detail in yours. Maybe a just a little lightening up would help. It could just be my monitor showing it darker though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 AM

fedje,

your first job in an image like this is to 'find the image'. and all that means is, bring out the detail. curves, levels, contrast, clarify, fade reductions and histogram adjustment are good places to start.

i did a cursory start on this and you can see the eyes if you get your lighting and contrasting raised a bit. you might even be able to bring out the writing at the bottom with a bit of work. that's something that is often important, since it can help to date and locate the image.

after that, with this image having such a pronounced 'shake', you simply treat the ghosting as you would any scratch or unwanted mark. and you correct the double exposure on the coat by matching it up with the rest of it.

also, a usm filter at about 20/100/5 shld help focus the features a bit as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration