RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Loving this site (worth a look )

Old 11-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Loving this site (worth a look )

At the minute everywhere i go im looking for photos to work on and in a friends house i found this pic of her grandparents and could only take a photo as its very old and taped into the frame which they don't want tampered with because of there lack of trust of our ability with fixing .
cant wait to see wot u come up with heres the photo of the photo and heres my work so far

orig
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...nakes/good.jpg

my attempt
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d.../wedproper.jpg

Last edited by andyrollins2007; 11-22-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wrong photo uploaded but fixed know
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 AM

Re: Loving this site (worth a look )

Healing brush, some smudging. Alien Skin Exposure to convert to B/W. Curves adjustment, then Smart Sharpen and Add Noise. Finally, additional sharpening with the High Pass filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT001.jpg (98.7 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 AM

Hmmm, photomaster, really nice job recovering detail in the faces!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 AM

great job photomaster
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Hi Andy

The original does not look too bad. The biggest problems have been introduced in the copying.
The best way to copy an image is with a scanner. However if you cannot take the image out of the frame then a camera would have to be used.

The problem here is that the picture was not positioned at right angles to the camera and that has introduced parallax errors and blurred the results.

If a retake is not possible then the first step of this restore should be to remove the parallax errors.

This can be done with rotate and perspective

Rotate the image 0.58deg Clockwise to align the top of the frame horizontally

Then use the Perspective tool to align the sides of the frame vertically

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Andy2.jpg (95.3 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 PM

Still needs some more fixing up, thought I'd have a very quick go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good-copy.jpg (77.5 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 AM

hi andy,

since the others all the work from scratch, i'll comment on your rendition:

you've straightened it up nicely. but, it could use a bit of lightening and possibly a touch of contrast, though i'd have to see the lightening first. the yellowing is pretty heavy in this image. you might try desaturating it a bit, though that's certainly optional. some prefer to leave the aging.

those are the basics on this one, i'd say. but, if you can, i'd also look to bringing out more detail if possible. if those blacks are completely black (rgb = 0, 0, 0), then it might be possible to find some more detail in there. it might just come out when you lighten things up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Wow, Allison, that looks fantastic. So clear and bright. I still see some "twisting" in the overall image...is that the paralax effect? Don't listen to me (except the clear compliment) because I know nothing about photo retouching...I am looking for a couple of Christmas gifts for my daughter who is in advertising and was a photography major. She does a little Photoshop and wants to take a great class on it and do retouching and painting. I am looking at the Intuous 3 6x9 pad. She needs a Painter software program but I have no idea which one to buy as they get so expensive. I read that Painter 8 upgrade will load if you have Photoshop but I just don't understand which version is best to buy as the first one. Heck, I can't even see how to post a new thread here but I just joined last night and already love this site.
Any input on software would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM

thanks again people im learning fast because of u guys and girls
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviotagal View Post
Wow, Allison, that looks fantastic. So clear and bright. I still see some "twisting" in the overall image...is that the paralax effect? Don't listen to me (except the clear compliment) because I know nothing about photo retouching...I am looking for a couple of Christmas gifts for my daughter who is in advertising and was a photography major. She does a little Photoshop and wants to take a great class on it and do retouching and painting. I am looking at the Intuous 3 6x9 pad. She needs a Painter software program but I have no idea which one to buy as they get so expensive. I read that Painter 8 upgrade will load if you have Photoshop but I just don't understand which version is best to buy as the first one. Heck, I can't even see how to post a new thread here but I just joined last night and already love this site.
Any input on software would be deeply appreciated.
Hi Gaviotagal,

Well thank you. I'm afraid it was just a quick go just to show what is possible. The image is distorted somewhat because I didn't take the appropriate time.

I'm a photoshop user, but I did start out with Paint Shop Pro and it used to be a pretty decent tool for the price. I think Kraellin uses PSP, or if not, someone here does, and they get some pretty spectacular results. I'm going to vouch for Photoshop, I haven't used Painter though but if it was as good as Photoshop then it would be the industry standard software ..... and it isn't.

There are also lots and lots of plugins that you can get for Photoshop - though you should really learn how to create those effects without the use of plugins - a very high portion of them being free ..... I like that word

Ultimately, it becomes a personal choice, but the trick to using any software is knowing what it can do .... better yet, learning what it can do ... and practice, practice, practice .....which is a lot of fun anyway
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration