RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Any ideas please?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:54 AM

Re: Any ideas please?

ok, this is extremely crude, but i've outlined some of the major things i can detect, if extremely faint. put that all together and i think something could be done, especially if another image of the gentleman exists somewhere.

and, as a tip, it's not a bad idea on a really bad image like this, to make one layer with some of these 'forensic' marks on it as a reference for working.

the really odd part of this image is the glass refraction. it seems to not be quite in the right place, but it may be due to the specs being down from his eyes a bit. but i'm convinced it is glass and therefore glasses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nakayama_Junichi_1b-1-k-1rp.jpg (178.0 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
well,...it's really a forensic sort of thing.
...That was actually the point I was trying to make ...
The reasons behind forensic are 'way' more pressing and of completely different nature than the ones behind restoration... also, the methods used are very different..

As far as I know, Forensic works with an incredible database of possible features to be used with the aim/in the hope that somewhere, someone could recognize the subject portrayed in the end result of their manipulations ...

Restoration aims to 'bring back' a picture to the time it was taken in the most natural-looking and as-close-as-possible-to-the-original way possible... where the the subject/s must always be recognizable by anyone who knows/knew them... (I should have added 100% recognizable to credible/acceptable...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
...well, you and i both remember 'tub girls'. that one beat me up pretty badly
..I surely do.. had a lot of fun and you know I don't scare easily from very difficult/nearly impossible jobs.. ...(for those interested, here is the link to that Thread)... but, in my opinion, that picture had far more details than this one...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 04:47 AM

I'm fairly new to photoshop and for me something like this would be a MASSIVE effort. It really all dependes on how well the clinet wants it done. You will have to rebuild this photo using parts of other photos, eyes, ears, mouth, stuff like that. So if you can get other photos of these people that would be a start. I did the eyes and ear kind of quickly of the gentelman but I don't know what he looks like so it's difficult for me. Looks to me he has a mustache and a cigar. This photo will take alot of your time if you really want to do it well, many hours if your new like me. But it's worth it, for me anyway, just for the learning experiance. Good Luck, Shay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man and baby.jpg (93.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 PM

hi flora,

well, when i used the word 'forensic', to me, that sort of implies that you arent going to get a totally accurate reconstruction, much like in police work; you're just trying to get as close as possible with a bit of deductive reasoning. i was also using it somewhat figuratively.

and all that, of course, would also depend on the client's needs and wants. some would simply say, dont bother; too much time, too much effort and too much cost for too little return. but there might also be someone willing to give it a shot and be happy with whatever could be done. thus, i thought maybe something could be done.

besides, i'm a bit compulsive

ok, i dont have the time to try a full reconstruction/restore on this, but i'll post what i have so far and perhaps someone else can work with it, preferably someone who's a better artist than me. i think i may have the eyes set too close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nakayama_Junichi_1b-1-k-1b-rp.jpg (185.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2007, 12:26 AM

Jan - have you found out whether your client is able to rescan it or add another photo of the man and/or baby?

This could be totally wrong, but after working with lightening the dark blobs away, I thought that I saw this. Anyway, it still lacks most of the nose, but thought it might be "in the direction" of the original image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForQuietJan.jpg (194.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:44 AM

Sorry for taking so long in getting back here. I had another person's photo I was working on to be ready before Christmas.

No I haven't heard back from her yet. Not surprising with the holidays and such. I think you may be onto something CJ. I've downloaded your photo to take a closer look at it. Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can come up with using your method.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 AM

You have all given me some really good ideas and tips to work with. Yes I'm pretty committed to fixing this photo (maybe I should be committed...lol). I just hate to be defeated by a photo, just stubborn I guess. Thank you all for your input and I'll let you know how it ends up. Oh and yes the man is wearing wire rimmed glasses, I was told that by the owner of the photo.

Merry Christmas to all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Happy holidays all

I applaud you for trying, however, I doubt if a logical end result can be obtained.
Knowing where the eyes and other facial features are will not give you an identifiable image, especially not one that would have value in reuniting ones attachment to someone that currently or once existed. Outline detail is only part of the equation. Highlights, shadows and character lines are just as important to an image to figure out the depth of given features that make us all unique. For example, if you were to construct an image having only placement of features the possibilities are endless unless you have other images of the same individual at various poses (brow, cheekbone, nose, character lines, etc). All of this information is necessary to associate the image to the individual.
Even if you had half of the face to work with and built upon this, you’d still be guessing. Most people are seldom recognizable if you duplicate a right or left side and combine since faces are not symmetrical. The little oddities are what matter.

To site an example; I have a program that does police composites, I’m sure many of you are familiar with it. In order for this program to be of value, the individual that describes the image must describe depth as well as dimensions in order to discern nose shape, eyes, cheeks etc., identification is otherwise hardly possible especially with only a frontal view. I guess my bottom line is, without more complete information, what’s the point?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 AM

Still, bear in mind that there can be a lot of information hidden in the channels. I always scan in RGB (16-bit, these days) for that reason. Always worth a try.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration