RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Removing lots of red stains on photo

Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 AM

Re: Removing lots of red stains on photo

In response to the interest in the LAB color space, Dan Margulis has written the book Photoshop LAB Color and discusses blurring A & B and sharpening the L channel at length in Chapter 5. My face should be very red as I have worked thru all of the exercises in the book. However, just don't use the stuff enough to remember. I went back and tried it and applied a Gaussian blur of 11.1 to the "a" channel and close to 20 for the "b". Still had a few spots of red which means I did not blur enough. I also tried the sharpening on the "L". Using a curves adjustment on the a and b also helps refine the needed adjustment, especially for skin tones. Overall the results came out quite well.

dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 06:20 PM

Thank you all for your kindness!!!

Great job everybody!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkay View Post
... Also how much blurring did you do because not matter how much blurring I did on the a & b channels I couldnt get the spots completely off the way you did with the method you described!
...Knowing that I was going to 'mess' with the channels, I didn't bother to correct the strong magenta colour cast as first step, but started by trying to get rid of the spots instead...

As Craig pointed out, I don't usually work in Lab ....actually, I rarely 'move' from RGB since I'm convinced that you always lose a bit by switching between colour modes ... but, if nothing else satisfies me ... then ...

For removing the spots in this picture I found that the Lab mode worked best for me ...
  • Attachment 1 > the 3 Lab channels.
  • Attachment 2 > the 'blurring' values I used for a and b
  • Attachment 3 > comparison between ORIGINAL and Blurred Lab version ...
  • As I said in my previous post the colours had 'bled' so,I copied and pasted the Lab version on top of my RGB background, created a Black Layer mask for this new layer and removed the red spots changing the Opacity of my brush when necessary ... (lower Opacity for removing the spots from skin..)
  • Merged visible.
  • Now, to remove the magenta cast, I created a Level Adjustment layer and used the 'Set Gray Point' on the spot shown in Attachment 4

Quote:
...I would like to know how you fixed the overall tones and got such good contrast out of every cloth...
I used mostly Levels Adjustment layers... my trick?? (if you can call it that...) if necessary, I tweak everything ... meaning Output Levels as well

I tend to work with midtones contrast a lot to balance unevenly lighted parts of an image by selecting them individually.

If necessary, I add a couple of 'my' blank layers set to ...(tutorial here ...Just scroll down the page to the BLANK/EMPTY LAYERS SET TO.... part) ... or, even better, neutral colour filled layers which give you even more control and flexibility as Chris Tarantino explains very clearly and kindly in his Blog

No matter what kind of adjustment layer I'm using, I always 'play' with its Blending and Opacity until I'm satisfied with the result.

Attachment 5 > A snapshot of my workflow ...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_Dec_005.jpg (194.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_Dec_006.jpg (38.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_Dec_007.jpg (194.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_Dec_008.jpg (173.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_ Dec_ 001.jpg (196.0 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 PM

Thanks alot for that answer Flora! I'm a bit overloaded in work and school stuff tonight but I'll study all that tomorrow for sure.

I have one last question... How did you choose the grey point? Did you pick what seemed to give the best result?

Using the 50% grey layer and treshold method gave another grey point that still left very much of the magenta overcast. I'm wondering if you're using another method or just going with trial and error.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Hi Gerald.

I used a method similar to Murray.
Starting with the green channel. I ran shadow/highlight (PS7 equivalent to reduce contrast) and used this as the luminosity (Same as your FFT thread)
The biggest problems are the jpeg artefacts which should not be a problem in your copy.
There are signs that Bernards' jacket may be blue… Not sure.

Hi Flora.
Great job and Great to see you back.

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Thelma-and-Bernard100(3.jpg (96.4 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Mistermonday, how are you? I had noticed that when I had used the brush to paint over the red stains there are a some dark sport where the stains were.

Gerald McClaren

Last edited by Gerald McClaren; 12-25-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Flora, how are you doing? I would like to know how did you copy and paste the Lab version over the RGB background or original.

Gerald McClaren
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Hello; I worked with your picture for awhile. I tried a recolor without doing a complete blotch removal. Had trouble removing the background, so just toned it down a little. Tried the dress pink also, but the yellow looked so nice I went with it.

Last edited by Mining Art; 02-04-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 AM

Hi,

hope you all had a Happy Christmas and wish you all a wonderful 2008!!!

Enkay,
Quote:
I have one last question... How did you choose the grey point? Did you pick what seemed to give the best result?

Using the 50% grey layer and treshold method gave another grey point that still left very much of the magenta overcast. I'm wondering if you're using another method or just going with trial and error.
... looking at the picture, I assumed that the tie was black and, therefore, considered gray that midtone point on the tie ... I might be wrong of course ... because as Ken pointed out,
Quote:
There are signs that Bernards' jacket may be blue… Not sure.
... but, once I set that particular gray point, the colours of the whole image became more natural and 'credible' so, I stuck by it... I'm not good with numbers .. so I simply trust my eyes...

Ken,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken View Post
Hi Flora.
Great job and Great to see you back.
Thanks Ken!!
Great Job!!

Gerald,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren View Post
Flora, how are you doing?
... Everything just fine ... thank you!! (hope for you too!!!)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald McClaren View Post
I would like to know how did you copy and paste the Lab version over the RGB background or original.
  • After opening the image in Photoshop, I clicked on the 'Create new Document from current State' button (depending on the Photoshop version you could have a different 'definition' for it) ... Attachment 1

• Changed the newly created document to LAB mode and applied the Blur to its a and b channels.

• Aligned RGB and corrected LAB images on my Photoshop workspace.

• Making sure that my LAB version was highlighted, I dragged the corrected LAB Background to the RGB Image .... Attachment 2

Mining Art,

Nice job! .... Not sure about the very vivid colours though ....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_ Dec_ 007.jpg (25.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_ Dec_ 008.jpg (189.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Thank you very much flora!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration