Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

My Slide Repair Workflow (screenshots)

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
My Slide Repair Workflow (screenshots)

This year for my grandparents x-mas present instead of buying them something I snuck out boxes of slides (hundreds) and began to sort through them...realizing to get these done in time I would need an efficient way to correct the photo's without spending 30min per photo.

I started out scanning them in Silverfast AI with the slide trays that come with the i800, I could slam them in and hit auto correct and each frame's histrogram white and black point sliders where automatically adjusted, I sent them to a folder with a batch naming system.

Once they where scanned I set up my palettes in photoshop as shown below. Mainly I am paying attention to the giant histogram palette to note any auto correct problems that might occur, then tweaking them with levels (cmd+L) if needed. I also used the Info palette on some to determine a color cast, 98% of them where fine and proceeded to the step below.

Now for the big time saver, by setting up a bunch of actions I spent 3-4 sec. on each picture. To create an action view the Retouch Pro turorial Here I opened up 30-40 images a time and ran through the actions below.

Up top there's rotate canvas CW,and CCW, colored separately to identify quickly.

Note: for the rest of these I made them rather mild, so I can click once for most photo's or click several more times for others.

Next is a mild shadow boost from the shadows/highlight function.
Then an S curve in curves to boost mid tone contrast.
Using Hue/Saturation I added a mild increase in saturation.
Sharpen Med. and sharpen High (not pictured)
Save .JPG High: This would save the file with a high jpg compression, and throw it in a "retouched" folder.
Close: well that closes out the file without mousing over to the window.

By doing this I can go from top to bottom in order, skipping any buttons I don't need, close then go to the top. This makes it a lot quicker with the mouse.

You could also set up an auto color correct if your scanner doesn't do this, then you can make an action for the auto color too. (mine adjusts the color then scans in 48bit then saves to 24bit jpegs or tiffs. saving me the step in photoshop)

Hope's this helps someone, not the most accurate way to color correct and enhance but it gets it done in a hurry, or a 80/20 correction as I call it. (80% of the quality in 20% of the time...or in this case 1% of the time!)

Forgot to add, after this was all done I threw them into iDVD (quite easily at that!) and made a slideshow on DVD with different chapters for different time periods and places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (97.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg screen2.jpg (26.9 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Re: My Slide Repair Workflow (screenshots)

Adam -- Wow!! That sounds like a fantastic Christmas present for your grandparents. I'd bet they were thrilled not only with the end results but the time and thought that went into your project -- even if they had no real idea of what it took to create the "magic" of slideshows on DVD.

Thanks for taking the time to give tips on how the rest of us can make a similar job easier to complete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 AM

Hey Adam, I agree with CJ, what a wonderful gift. My family has talked about doing that or having it done, but so far only talk. I think I will save this info so if we ever get around to doing this we have your tips.
How long was the DVD when you were done?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Yes they both loved them very much, the funny thing was some of the ones I thought where just ok turned out to be there favorite!

The DVD turned out to be around an hour long, 300 slides at 10sec a frame. You can also adjust the speed in iDVD as well as skip forward/backward with the remote.

I showed my grandpa how it was done, as he was very interested in it, however my grandma pretty much thinks its "magic"

Silverfast really sped up the workflow as well, compared to the microtek software. For some reason when scanning it the scanner had to reset to "home" position every time before it went to the next. If it could just go top to bottom with only 3 complete sweeps since there's 3 vertical rows (vs 12 lol). If I had the money I would have bought a dedicated slide scanner but I really don't do a lot of slides.

Forgot to add, I still have a couple hundred more to do, it was hard to smuggle all those boxes out with them being home....they never leave lol.

Last edited by AdamZx3; 12-30-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration