RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

UNCLE! I Give Up!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Re: UNCLE! I Give Up!

I agree with Kaellin's method although I'd go a little simpler. My technique is to create a good grayscale base, then colorize it using the original version with some modifications. I started with Kit's "so far" image which was almost there. You did all the hard parts!

Grayscale base: I checked each color channel to see which channels to use as a good starting point to colorize. Green and red looked good. Duplicate each, and copy and paste each to create a separate layer. Red looks like good tonality with the exception of the younger boy's legs and right arm which are blown out. The green channel looks better in that area so I pasted the green channel copy over the red channel and masked all except to reveal the boy's leg area and arm. Now red and green copy layers blend nicely with good tonal quality throughout. You may have to dodge and burn the arms and hands to even everything out. That makes our luminescence layer... now let's add back some color.

Take the original image, paste it on top of the red and green copy layers, set it to color mode. We see the problem areas are skin, little boy's shirt, and middle boy's shirt. And maybe some face color needs correction, even in the girl. With the new color layer selected, I used the eyedropper to select a skin tone I liked, painted with the brush over all the skin. That gets the skin where we need it. Choose the cheek blush color from the original, use the brush to softly paint the rosy cheeks back.

Use the same technique to pick colors to paint in the clothes, then paint on the color layer as needed.

Good luck!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit.jpg (76.3 KB, 140 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM

looks good, scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 AM

That is fantastic, Scott. It's a showcase of what can be done in restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM

Looks wonderful Scott! And I have to admit, although I've made progress (thanks to all RP members), I'm still struggling with areas that you cleaned up so well--thank you very much. I've used the airbush to try to recolor damaged areas, on a color mode layer, & some looked fine, but some not. Esp when I tried to whiten areas on smaller boy (clothes, ball), I can't get a white, just a dirty gray like color that's worse then what I started with. I believe that may be a different problem altogether, but for now I'm going to get back at it using your techniques. Many thanks for your contribution!! Kit
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM

This is my take on this one. I've added a little bit of texture into the backdrop, and softened the edged where the light would be filtering through hair etc. I've kept the features on the kids quite sharp though. I added just a touch of drop shadow to try and pull it all together. Also brightened the whole thing a lil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unc I give up!.jpg (96.6 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM

looks nice, jcasey170 and welcome to RP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Patron

An observation - I think this photo has been colorized, 'cause little boys don't normally have their cheeks rouged. Be that as it may, here's a quick and easy cleanup executed in Photoshop CS3. Some cloning will be needed eventually, but I've done none. Process is as follows:

1. Add a black and white adjustment layer.
2. Lighten red, yellow, and green until the brown stains mostly disappear.
3. Set the blending mode of the adjustment layer to luminosity.

These steps will make the stains the same luminosity as the surrounding areas, but they'll still show.

4. Add a new blank layer with blending mode set to color.
5. Sample from nearby areas with a brush set to color and paint the stains out on the new layer.

There will be places where you won't be able to get the luminosity just right, and the stains will show as dark or light splotches. Gotta clone (or equivalent) to fix those.

Now when I got the luminosity layer adjusted to get rid of most of the staining, it blew out some of the skin highlights and they turned a funny hue when I painted on the color layer. To fix that I took the image into Lab and painted over the funny color, in color mode, with a color sampled nearby. Did some patching in the background, then went back into rgb. Final touches, just to make myself happy, were a luminosity layer containing the merged green channel to add some more shape to the faces and a curves adjustment layer to bump up contrast just a little.

This technique doesn't work on all stains; they have to have a definable color like the brown here. When it does work, however, it really saves a lot of cloning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (91.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Cleaned.jpg (199.6 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM

Wow! Still getting help on this one, I LOVE you guys! This is a great technique that can save alot of work--I'm saving this one too. Thanks so much from myself & all the others it will help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

looking good so far
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM

How about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original(a).jpg (85.6 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration