RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

UNCLE! I Give Up!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM

Red face UNCLE! I Give Up!

Hello everyone, Altho many of your names are known to me, as I've been hanging around for a long time, this is my first post. I'm an ol' time neg retoucher who went digital in 2001 & this site was my 1st & most valuable reasource on many levels, so I do contribute $ as I'm able. I finally had to take the time to learn how to post & upload images as I've spent so much time on this family image for my sister. I want to keep the final in color & that makes for a nightmare of getting rid of the yellow/brown areas in the image, esp on the skin. I fear I'm down to healing & cloning as my only options. Understand that I'm not nearly done with this image, just wanted to get it up to show how far I've gotten with the "stain". I can't even remember what all techniques I used to get out as much as I have, but there has got to be a better way, right?!? So now after taking the time to read this long post, if anyone has a few more minutes for a suggestion, or to let me know that it is just cloning, cloning, cloning, I would be forever grateful! I'll even make another contribution to RTP! Please don't take the time to do the full restoration, as it's just that dark area I can't figure out. Many Thanks Kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (91.7 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg SoFar.jpg (89.0 KB, 393 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Re: UNCLE! I Give Up!

I've lighten the image to see the dark areas that you are referring to. Most of what I see can be corrected with the patch tool, if you are familiar with that. It will still take some cloning to get the photo exact, but you have done well so far. Don't give up, some restorations take days, but they are well worth it in the end. Regards, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoFar2.jpg (96.9 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by weewood; 02-15-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Just a quick attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restore_01.jpg (69.4 KB, 244 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Very nice Sweetlight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 PM

In general terms, you may want to put up the clone stamp tool. Any tools such as the clone stamp or patch tool will simply degrade the detail more. You have all the necessary detail, you simply need to correct the color in some small areas. There are many techniques for moving forward. So, you may have to read a few and decide which will work best for your time constraints. You can refer to articles on colorizing black & white photos, or refer to articles on glamour retouching and apply their techiniques to just the areas in question. (You have so much of the original color in place, I would never revert to b&w and try to recolor.) Either should get you close.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM

hi KIt and welcome to RetouchPRO.

i used your 'sofar' image and added some more touchups which might help. this is not a finished work, just some little bits to show some examples of what might be done.

on the larger boy's hands, i used mostly airbrush and varied the colors and shading as seemed fit. in one early stage i guassian blurred the layer just for some general toning and then airbrushed more over that. you can also set your eraser brush to a very low opacity, like 3 to 5 or so, and erase bits that you dont like and simply carry on from there.

on that same boy's pants, i used clone and that's all, both legs where stained. the point there is to keep the texture/pattern intact.

next, i did the carpet/flooring. again, clone only.

now the tricky part, the rest of the skin. on all the rest of the skin, i made one new blank layer and set the blend mode to color. i then picked appropriate colors for the airbrush and very lightly (2 to 3%) airbrushed the skin areas. again, use the eraser when necessary. go over this varying your colors and application till it suits.

however, one addendum to the skin airbrushing. i'd do a bit more prepping on the faces, especially the boy's faces. they are somewhat 'dirty' yet and could be cleaned up more for a better result and then do the airbrush on a color blend mode layer. i didnt. i just wanted to show you some techniques here.

after that i then picked the larger boy's shirt color, the darker color and again airbrushed in color mode over those stains. then, i did each stipe in that shirt with the appropriate color the same way.

you also had some scratches yet by the larger boy's shoe. i cloned those out and a dot in the upper right part of the image.

that was basically it.

the nice thing about airbrushing in color mode is that if used in combo with a light eraser you can get pretty close to good skin tones without losing texture or smudging with clones and smudge type tools.

i also purposely left some areas undone, like the area near the larger boy's wrist and fixing the darkness of the boy's faces.

you've done a good job so far. now ya just need to finish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoFar-1-k-1a-rp.jpg (183.3 KB, 244 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up Re: UNCLE! I Give Up!

WoW, you guys really ARE the Best. I thank you all so much for your imput & think you have me pumped up to get back at this one (right after I make my donation to RTP. Big thank you to Kraellin also for your wonderful detailed instructions, which I will try to duplicate, although the airbush is a tool I've neglected to use, as my traditional airbushing was not going well. Guess it's time to start practicing again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
...if anyone has a few more minutes for a suggestion, or to let me know that it is just cloning, cloning, cloning, I would be forever grateful! I'll even make another contribution to RetouchPRO! Please don't take the time to do the full restoration, as it's just that dark area I can't figure out. Many Thanks Kit
I don't think it's just cloning. I've focused separately on four areas:the knees, left arm, chest & the hands. It took mostly some masking & curves adjustments.
Here you can see the layers. If you need more info, I could go over some details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original_chill_spot.jpg (198.3 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: UNCLE! I Give Up!

Whoa chillin Your layers palette is a bit overwhelming, but your results are well worth it! Can't believe you got so much out with only the tools that you used. I can see that I need to go further & work on smaller areas, for shorter time periods (to keep my frustration down lol). I may take you up on your offer of providing more detailed instruction as I get back to it. Thank you very much. I hope you didn't spend as much time as it looks like, or I may need to make yet ANOTHER donation to RTP
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Big thank you to Kraellin also for your wonderful detailed instructions, which I will try to duplicate...
you're welcome
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration