Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

This photo is in dire need of help

Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Re: This photo is in dire need of help

dataflow: Thanks for your response. All I'm saying is it would be a courtesy to one's readers to supply every convenience possible to engage those readers.Why should I have to take the trouble of accessing Wikipedia, if the writer could simply spell out with a few keystrokes the full meaning of the AA (see my previous post re: this)?

You have to realize not all of your audience understands your AAs. I'm not about to spend "a matter of time" to learn a new language, and I know AAs have been around "long before the net." Every reader is lazy, as is every interviewer for a job. It's not up to the reader; it's up to the writer not to be lazy. You want to engage my attention? Then don't put obstacles in my way.

As far as controlling others' actions, no, if those actions by others (writings in ReTouchPro) are to engage me as a learner, the burden is on the writer (you) to provide the least inconvenience to the reader (me).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 AM

when i say "you cant controlling others actions.

i mean that asking people to change is not going to happen unless they want to.
and you have no luck in that happening anytime soon.

so your going to need to learn abbreviations/acronyms because people arent going to stop using them.

most people use them when there chatting on a chat app.
people like to respond as quick as possible and if you had to spell out every word the person would be talking about something else by the time you finished typing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 AM

the simple fact is, you're both right. we're communicating here. that means each side has a responsibility. the speaker shld ensure that his audience hear and understand. the listener shld ensure he duplicates exactly what has been said and if he/she doesnt understand, does what's needed to do that. it's really that simple. both sides can be responsible.

however, whenever you're dealing with a specialty, a tech, the tendency of the originator is to 'speak the lingo' and he/she assumes that others will pick it up or ask or look it up. and as 'the student', it's your job to learn this. that's sort of the way it's always been. a rocket scientist speaks 'rocket science'. if you want to be a rocket scientist, you learn to speak 'rocket science'. that is pretty traditional, so the onus usually falls on the listener.

and, being that this is a peer to peer help site, we more or less expect our peers to 'know the lingo' or learn it, just as we did. that comes with the job. it's not that big of a thing to simply do a google "define: wip" is it?

also, a lot of folks arent that great at typing, or very fast, so things tend to get abbreviated quite a bit. you'll notice i often type 'shld' for 'should' or 'prolly' for 'probably'. this is done for the sake of speed. speed is good when you're going through 60 posts a day, plus the library plus the gallery and working on other forums and doing work on images. ya know? so, really, crack open the google define or wiki and 'learn da lingo'. it really doesnt hurt that much. and if you cant find it in a formal definition, just ask... like you did.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration