Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

B&W Scan help

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Re: B&W Scan help

As zganie said, most of us turn off everything automatic on the scanner. However, given the number of prints you are attempting to correct, you could also put them in piles depending on whether they are (a) absolute one of a kinds that you want to work on, (b) need a lot of work but not so good you will spend lots of time, (c) just need some basic correction and then you're going to archive for the grandkids.
The stack of a's you could scan with no auto settings using your color calibrated workspace (right?). Proceed as normal.
The stack of b's you could scan with auto-leveling and auto-sharpening, then simply touch up the blemishes quickly within Photoshop. Newer scanners can even dust for you, and some now have digital ICE built in (but ICE is slow).
The stack of c's you could scan with auto-most everything (except color) and never touch within PS. In fact, when I have such a large stack, I usually don't use the scanner at all on the c's. I photograph the photo with a high resolution digital camera using a copystand setup. It is so much faster and achieves what I want for simple archiving purposes. By accumulating 30 or 100 prints on the camera, you also get to name them as a batch when you download to the PC. Much faster ! I can capture about 2 images per minute at the same resolution of the scanner (or higher). Hence, 100 photo's in less than an hour.

Just an FYI... good luck on your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Re: B&W Scan help

Tommy, great idea! Right now I have them in stacks by "family" members.

I just got another scanner, but it doesn't have ICE, I don't think.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration